Powder-coating rear chrome bumper???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys another thing on my to-do list is murder out the rear chrome bumper. I am looking to cut corners with the rear bumper if possible and powder-coat it black from a local powder-coater. Any one have positive or negative feedback on this?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Would be neat to see and wouldnt see where it would be that much of an issue.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Do the bumpers have a chrome cladding on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
moodygunner

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure what chrome clad is but I'm planning on powder coating the factory chrome rear bumper. My powder coating guy said he has done it many times and he can match up the black pearl (PXR) close enough that it wont be noticed. Im just curious as to if the paint might peal 6 months down the road when i run it thru the carwash.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Powder cost won't peel. And neither will paint if done right, and doesn't get hit with tons of rocks. Only reason I ask is because chrome cladding will melt when put in the powder coating oven. Chrome clad is a thing layer of chrome put over a metal bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Our bumpers are not clad. I have known several guys that have powdercoated their bumpers and they were all satisfied.

I am skeptical that he can match pxr "close enough that it wont be noticed." I would ask for a sample first. And not just on a little 2"x2" sample card. Something bigger (like a square foot) so you can really see the sparkle in the sun.

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
RubberFrog said:
Our bumpers are not clad. I have known several guys that have powdercoated their bumpers and they were all satisfied.

I am skeptical that he can match pxr "close enough that it wont be noticed." I would ask for a sample first. And not just on a little 2"x2" sample card. Something bigger (like a square foot) so you can really see the sparkle in the sun.

^x2

OP
OP
moodygunner

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good idea.......He said he would give me a sample, I'll push for a large test piece to be coated and look for the Sparkle. haha sparkle, no matter how you say that word it just sounds :homoswitch:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if he can match it that will be sweet.

icywhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
painted rear chrome after 3yrs and several f'ing parking lot bumps
before
Picture109.jpg

after
july2011004.jpg
017.jpg

OP
OP
moodygunner

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IcyWhite....... Did you paint the bumper yourself or did you get it professionally done. If you did it yourself what was your process.

icywhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i did it myself it was a long process the first step was sanding sanding and more sanding to get a surface that the paint will stick to get self etiching primer which is a must dont use reg it wont stick then did about 4 or 5 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear i used a rattle can for paint and preval spray system with autozone dupulicolor paintshop clear automotive paint that is in the can for the clear. rattle can clear sucks and doesnt hold very well

Picture-1.jpg

Last edited: