purchasing AT tires soon, but which one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tweek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm looking at buying new AT tires soon (325/65/18) and wanted opinions on who makes the best bang for you buck AT from prior experience, word of mouth, etc. I'm in between the new falken wild peak tires, toyo open country and nitto terra grapplers g2 tire mainly because they seem to be reasonable in terms of price, warranty and tread wear. I've never bought AT tires before so I'm trying to find out from my forum members what they think is best before i dump a decent amount of money on a set. I do tow frequently because of my mowing service so that is another factor in this, so any input would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I've run BFG, Nitto and Mickey Thompson's. I by far liked the MT's the best, I got the STZ's like a month after they came out.

OP
OP
T

Tweek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've run BFG, Nitto and Mickey Thompson's. I by far liked the MT's the best, I got the STZ's like a month after they came out.

how is the road noise with the MT's? i've got Mud tires on the truck right now and my god do they like to hum like a church choir on sunday.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
how is the road noise with the MT's? i've got Mud tires on the truck right now and my god do they like to hum like a church choir on sunday.

No, no... I think you misunderstood. I put MT (Mickey Thompson) not mud tire... The STZ's have little none on the road noise.

OP
OP
T

Tweek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No, no... I think you misunderstood. I put MT (Mickey Thompson) not mud tire... The STZ's have little none on the road noise.

oh i know you were getting at the mickey thompsons! sorry i wasn't completely clear with my response. I've got mud tires on my truck at the moment and they have awful road noise and i just don't want to end up buying an all terrain tires that are noisy. That's very promising the mickeys have little to no road noise.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
oh i know you were getting at the mickey thompsons! sorry i wasn't completely clear with my response. I've got mud tires on my truck at the moment and they have awful road noise and i just don't want to end up buying an all terrain tires that are noisy. That's very promising the mickeys have little to no road noise.
Oh okay, sorry for confusion. The BFG's made quite a bit of noise and rode rough, the Nitto's I never could get good wear on them, but they were quiet. The MT's rode good, quiet and wore good.

OP
OP
T

Tweek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Oh okay, sorry for confusion. The BFG's made quite a bit of noise and rode rough, the Nitto's I never could get good wear on them, but they were quiet. The MT's rode good, quiet and wore good.

no worries! when MT, mickey thompson and mud tires start to get interchanged, it gets confusing for anyone haha.

the Mickey thompsons i haven't even considered but if they seem to ride good and quiet for a good time, i could imagine they will be a good contender. i know nittos have been hit or miss in terms of wear before the terra grappler g2.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
no worries! when MT, mickey thompson and mud tires start to get interchanged, it gets confusing for anyone haha.

the Mickey thompsons i haven't even considered but if they seem to ride good and quiet for a good time, i could imagine they will be a good contender. i know nittos have been hit or miss in terms of wear before the terra grappler g2.
Yeah, I haven't had the G2's, but they look pretty good.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought a set of Terra Grapplers many years ago and they wore horribly. I think they were toast after 25K. I recently switched from a M/T to an A/T and decided to give Nitto another shot and went with the G2's. I have only put about 7K on them, but so far they seem good. They have a lot better traction on wet pavement then my old M/T's. They are a pretty quiet tire, although my old M/T's ( Federal couragia's 33x12.5x20) were pretty quiet for a M/T. I think that they were quieter than the Toyo M/T's I had prior.
And the price was a good selling point, about $400 less than the Toyo A/T's and I got replacement certificates included.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the original nitto terras and i love em. I have around 15k miles on em now, some of those with the wheels spinning intentionally, and ive had no problems with wear.
The wet grip is pretty good too as far as cornering goes, its not too good as far as accelerating goes but it probably doesnt help that i have a lead foot in 1st gear.
I dont know if you have to deal with snow, but i have yet to drive with a tire that acts better in the snow than these. Unless the road is unplowed and 6" tall, i can stay in 2wd all day and not worry.
Absolutely no road noise, and if there is then i cant tell because of my exhaust.
Would i buy em again? Almost certainly. Id look into the exo grapplers more because of their alleged better traction in snow, but otherwise id stay with the terras

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really liked the BFG AT KO2 and the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 for a mild A/T tire.

OP
OP
T

Tweek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have the original nitto terras and i love em. I have around 15k miles on em now, some of those with the wheels spinning intentionally, and ive had no problems with wear.
The wet grip is pretty good too as far as cornering goes, its not too good as far as accelerating goes but it probably doesnt help that i have a lead foot in 1st gear.
I dont know if you have to deal with snow, but i have yet to drive with a tire that acts better in the snow than these. Unless the road is unplowed and 6" tall, i can stay in 2wd all day and not worry.
Absolutely no road noise, and if there is then i cant tell because of my exhaust.
Would i buy em again? Almost certainly. Id look into the exo grapplers more because of their alleged better traction in snow, but otherwise id stay with the terras

yeah we've had snow here in arkansas the last three winters and don't want to be that unfortunate guy who's got A/T tires that aren't useful in snow. l like the fact there isn't much if any road noise.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had to drive 50 miles in a blizzard to help my dad out with his cummins that wouldnt start because of the antiquated auto start. Drove all the way out in 2wd going 50 mph in 3" snow and never felt a twitch or a slip. Phenomenal tires in the snow

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not sure on the tread life but they work good and the sidewall is cool looking for a a/t. Gives you the aggressive look of a mt but on a a/t.