question about exterior paint..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
now, im a professional painter...of houses, not vehicles.
but i had the guy paint my hood and the paint doesnt match even after giving him exact paint code and testing blah blah blah.. its almost like a freaking blue compared to the rest of my truck...

sooo.. my question is, would i have to sand all the clear coat off the hood and reprimer it? or can i primer over the clear with some light sanding? im going to do the raised ram air intake part black :naughty: and re-do the white to match my truck. ive picked up some color match paint that looks way way better than what the "professional" did. any tips or advice would be appreciated! thanks!

BTW the hood is fiberglass if that matters..

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Auto paint is so touchy sometimes even if you get the same paint code paint, the difference in the match is the painter and conditions...

If you watch most frame off restorations they will paint all the items in the booth at the same time. Cause painting them at diff times the shades can be off, even though it's the same paint.

OP
OP
nim81

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i understand what your saying.. so do you think it would even be worth my time trying this myself? or should i just live with the blueish tint on the hood?

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
i understand what your saying.. so do you think it would even be worth my time trying this myself? or should i just live with the blueish tint on the hood?

meh, it's all up to you really...if you can live with it, then why bother...if it bugs you out, then try it out. But you would be hard pressed to find a respray or partial spray that matches 100%

OP
OP
nim81

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i didnt think the new stuff i have would match 100% but it would probably look 85% better than what is on there now.. ill have to mull this one over in my thick little skull.

im still planning on flat blacking the raised part of the hood though. was going to use my favorite paint ever! (bedliner in a can)

here is my super duper awesome mspaint skillz of the look im going for
newtruck-1.jpg

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
your best bet would be to take it down to the fiber. Don't need various paints on it.

I would also get paint that is matched and mixed for you. That duplicolor stuff is ok to a point (what I assume you are using), but it only goes so far. For an AWESOME clear in a can........Spray Max 2K Clear. Its the ****!

OP
OP
nim81

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ya its the dupicolor.. i was thinking it would be better than what i have now.. the guy did a quality job, just looks blue as all hell.. ill definitely look into that clear!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The black hood will look good, I would get with the org painter and ask em WTF on the color match.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
ya its the dupicolor.. i was thinking it would be better than what i have now.. the guy did a quality job, just looks blue as all hell.. ill definitely look into that clear!

If I were you............here's what I would do (if you are keeping with a spray bomb method)
- have a local paint store mix you some paint, tell them EXACTLY what is on it now, hell - they will look at it and use their tools to get an exact match on the paint. They can suggest a good paint to use on it.
- have them put the paint in aerosol for you. My local shop charges $7 a can (paint not included). It has a hardener in it, so it would be MUCH better than duplicolor's stuff. (well, most stuff is better than duplicolor......lol)
- 2K spray max clear. I can't say it enough. Holy balls this stuff is ****. Its an activated clear (hardener in it). You shake for 2 mins, flip it, release the hardener, shake for 2 more mins and spray. Once activated, pot time of 24 hours. Use it or lose it. Each can is about $20.

I have no clue how much you will need. I know.....from headlight paintin'........those little cans of Duplicolor (12 oz?) - white - I needed 2 cans for the lights. Coverage sucks, but that was over a green primer. You are going over white, so you should be fine! The clear........I could do 4-6 bezels with it, heavy coats......cuz I love me some clear coat. LOL

Check this **** out:

Sprayed with Mopar paint, no clear:

DSC09200.jpg

3 layers of clear, absolutely no wetsanding or buffing done here:

DSC09250.jpg

:leghump:

Whatever you do, don't use the Duplicolor Perfect Match clear. Its yellow.

OP
OP
nim81

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
thanks for the advice.. ill definitely be getting some of that clear coat!
going to check the local shops around farmington tomorrow.

those headlights look great!

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
thanks for the advice.. ill definitely be getting some of that clear coat!
going to check the local shops around farmington tomorrow.

those headlights look great!

I have found it on a few websites too, just in case you can't find it locally.

but yeah.......trust me........its the ****. :naughty:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Pretty sure that's why even when they just do a hood, they blend the paint into the fenders at the same time justso you don't get that off color while looking at it. Now for the blueish tint, it could be due to the primer used. Some primers bleed through and can change the look of a finished project if there were not enough coats of color on it. For example take a reg blue paint, spray it over a white primer grey primer and black primer, if there is not enough coats the black primer turns the paint a deeper blue while the white turns it a brighter blue. So it could be he used a grey primer and didn't do a thick enough coat and the grey is bleeding through the white. Do you have a couple pics to see how bad its off?

OP
OP
nim81

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
OT but how much lighter do you think your 440 six pack hood is compared to your old oem?

if i had to guess id say about a 25lb difference.. its definitely noticeable when i changed the hoods but it wasnt a shockingly big difference.

Pretty sure that's why even when they just do a hood, they blend the paint into the fenders at the same time justso you don't get that off color while looking at it. Now for the blueish tint, it could be due to the primer used. Some primers bleed through and can change the look of a finished project if there were not enough coats of color on it. For example take a reg blue paint, spray it over a white primer grey primer and black primer, if there is not enough coats the black primer turns the paint a deeper blue while the white turns it a brighter blue. So it could be he used a grey primer and didn't do a thick enough coat and the grey is bleeding through the white. Do you have a couple pics to see how bad its off?

its really weird.. sometimes its not noticeably bad, and other times it makes me cringe. some people dont notice and other people tell me first off "omfg who did u have paint your hood???" i'll takes some pics here in a couple minutes for ya

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Wow, that is really different! I'd be on the phone with your painter to get him to redo it, its not even close.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I mean spots of it look right but the bulk of it looks way off

OP
OP
nim81

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Wow, that is really different! I'd be on the phone with your painter to get him to redo it, its not even close.

there lies the problem... this was painted 2 years ago when i installed it on my 02.. it didnt match then but it was not as noticeable on that truck and the bug shield on the 02 helped it not be as noticeable as well. now i have no bug shield and i cant really afford to have it painted again. i had a guy i know offer to do it for the cost of paint and blend it into the fenders but he is a sketchy guy on and off drugs real bad so i really dont trust him. hell maybe ill just paint the whole hood black! :shakehead::joke: