Rattles from Everywhere

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
So we bought my truck used about 8 months ago, and while there were multiple problems with it, it runs great. Everything is okay except the suspension (specifically, front suspension) just rattles and doesn't handle bumps as good as I think it should. I plan on replacing the shocks ASAP after I replace all the bald tires, because they're going bad and the passenger shock is squeaking non-stop.

I'm wondering what would be causing the front-end rattle over small bumps, or a crash-like noise over large bumps, I don't know if thats normal or not but honestly it doesn't sound..safe? :roflsquared: It just sounds and feels like there is no relief from bumps in the shocks and over every bump the suspension is jumping and crashing back down, just a guess though

The next rattle comes from the tailgate/bumper. Every single bump I'll hear a loud rattle from the bed of the truck. I've narrowed it down to the passenger side where the back bumper connects to the truck. Holding a few bars underneath the truck can decrease the rattle but I can't narrow down the exact source

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
My truck sounded horrible when I got it it squeaked non stop it's the ball joints that needed replacing most likely you will have to get your whole front end all yours joints new it's not that much after you do that and new shocks you will be very happy I def was and The rear could be your leaf spring or rear shock take a look at them make sure they are not cracked or broken. Also look behind the rear bumper make sure all bolts are tight and you don't see anything hanging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Same with my old girl, she rattled like crazy but quiet as a mouse now. You probably need new ball joints, bushings, tie rods, etc,etc,etc. basically your whole front end, not to expensive when you do it yourself if capable. As for the rear, check the bed mounts and body bushings, leafs, shocks, any moving part probably needs replacing or repair, grease all your zerks, soak all bushings with silicone spray lube and see if anything got quieter, the lube won't last long but it will give you an idea of where to start replacing parts. Good luck bud. Let us know.

OP
OP
Fishstickz

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
My truck sounded horrible when I got it it squeaked non stop it's the ball joints that needed replacing most likely you will have to get your whole front end all yours joints new it's not that much after you do that and new shocks you will be very happy I def was and The rear could be your leaf spring or rear shock take a look at them make sure they are not cracked or broken. Also look behind the rear bumper make sure all bolts are tight and you don't see anything hanging

Yay..replace everything always sounds nice :roflsquared:

I may take it into the local mechanic one day and get his take on what I should replace first and what can wait because I'm gonna need my truck for a long while. He's had my sisters car in the shop most of the summer (Btw: Never get a chevy cobalt) so I trust them. Anyways I will check on the leaf springs and behind the bumper hopefully sometime soon!

Same with my old girl, she rattled like crazy but quiet as a mouse now. You probably need new ball joints, bushings, tie rods, etc,etc,etc. basically your whole front end, not to expensive when you do it yourself if capable. As for the rear, check the bed mounts and body bushings, leafs, shocks, any moving part probably needs replacing or repair, grease all your zerks, soak all bushings with silicone spray lube and see if anything got quieter, the lube won't last long but it will give you an idea of where to start replacing parts. Good luck bud. Let us know.

Lol dang I wish it wasn't the whole front end but I mean, a 06 Ram with 106k for $5500? I guess I should've known there would be some problems! Anyways thanks for the info and the tips, I'll check into everything whenever I can!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Older trucks will nickel n dime you to death, at least mine is, but it's worth it in the end if there is an end.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Know what you mean I had a chevy impala problem after problem it was a headache it was first and last chevy I ever bought.

Mayh3m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if there is an end.
:roflsquared:

Agree with the posts here. Get the front end checked thoroughly by your trusted mech. Ball joints can be a ball buster of a job but most everything else you can do solo if you have the time and space for it. (Maybe it's just me and I hate ball joints) :puke:

OP
OP
Fishstickz

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Went out and got some pictures today:

This is the bottom of the shock absorbers where they are connected to the bottom of the truck:
The driver side looks okay

bjoo5hu.jpg

The passenger side looks terrible, could be the big source of the problems

YOZbYlq.jpg

The passenger sway bar link is ripped on the bottom, and I hear the squeak of the sway bar badly over there, so I may replace the links soon and see how that goes

0vHfVMj.jpg

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Most likely the ball joint on the side is what is making the noise but start with the end links and get new shocks if your able to do that yourself and what ever you can't do you can have your mechanic do.process of elimination

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Detroit axel is a great site to get quality parts from and fairly cheap. I ordered a rack,tie ends,sway inks,upper control arms,ball joints for under 300$ cheapest quality I've found.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
The problem with car manufactures they use to put grease fittings on their products and they don't any more .Chrysler products have bad about when they get above a hundred thousand miles the front end is shot.It is funny something as simple as a grease fitting can make a difference .

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
The problem with car manufactures they use to put grease fittings on their products and they don't any more .Chrysler products have bad about when they get above a hundred thousand miles the front end is shot.It is funny something as simple as a grease fitting can make a difference .

surprisingly the one's I bought from Detroit axel have grease zerks.