Re-attaching MOPAR bug deflector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, some ******** had yanked on dad's bug deflector saturday night at work and it got torn off by the car wash today. He went back to get it and it's in good shape, but the hardware isn't and I don't know how to reattach it since it looks like the inserts that were on it will not stay in.

Anyway, pictures:

A couple of them don't look bad, but I still don't think they'll actually stay in.

And here are a couple pictures of the newly un-bug deflected truck:

I don't think it looks bad, but it does keep rocks from chipping up the hood.

Any help would be appreciated.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
You may want to check the local auto parts stores for the connectors. They normally carry some in the help section. Also Home Depot and Lowes also carry some of the more common bolts and connectors for vehicles. So those 2 may be a good spot to check also.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that sucks. They kinda look like body panel clips. Maybe check the mopar web site to order an installation kit for it?

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab
Engine
5.9 Magnum
They are just the plastic "toggle" type things. Sort of like what you would use in drywall. You tighten down the screw and it spreads in the back. Auto stores should easily have them. Or something similar. If you look under the top edge of the grill, you'll see the holes they are supposed to go into.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You may want to check the local auto parts stores for the connectors. They normally carry some in the help section. Also Home Depot and Lowes also carry some of the more common bolts and connectors for vehicles. So those 2 may be a good spot to check also.
You are the man. I totally forgot about that section in the Lowes. I'll have to look.
They are just the plastic "toggle" type things. Sort of like what you would use in drywall. You tighten down the screw and it spreads in the back. Auto stores should easily have them. Or something similar. If you look under the top edge of the grill, you'll see the holes they are supposed to go into.

Yeah, the holes are fine, just needs the inserts.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Another way to attach them is using nuts and bolts. Just make sure if you do it that way you use some plastic washers under the bolt top and the nut to keep from scaring the metal and possibly cracking the plastic of the deflector itself.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not sure if that would work since I don't think it's open on the backside.

I'm definitely going to try and find those pieces at Lowes though.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
*UPDATE*

Dad was out doing running around, so he swung by Lowes to pick up those fasteners. Worked like a charm! Thanks MegaMouse! :party36: