Rear axle question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colton B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So the other day I wasn't driving for the condition of the slick roads and I slide into a ditch, Luckily nobody was around me when I lost control of my truck and I didn't hit anybody from me being stupid.
The axle shaft snapped when I went into the ditch. Is there anyway I can get this axle repaired or is it beyond repairable? The wreaking yards near me only have 3.55 ratio gears in them and they're charging around $600 for a complete axle.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 41
  • ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 83
  • ram2.jpg
    ram2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 63
  • ram4.jpg
    ram4.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 42
  • ram5.jpg
    ram5.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 37

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally would replace it so there isn't a weak point were there shouldn't be. Are those yards LKQ owned?

OP
OP
Colton B

Colton B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I personally would replace it so there isn't a weak point were there shouldn't be. Are those yards LKQ owned?

That is what I was kind of thinking, just to replace the whole thing. No, none of the yards I've been looking at are LKQ.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow. That's some shot. Glad nobody got hurt.

For $600 I would change it. Then I would strip the old one for ready spare parts.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Change it out. Fixing the old one is not worth the possibility of it failing and killing someone.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Is the axle housing actually bent?

OP
OP
Colton B

Colton B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's better to be safe then sorry! I'm just going to replace it, I'm going to pick the axle tomorrow and hopefully I'll get my truck back on the road soon :)

Redtruck-VA- no, the housing of the axle isn't bent.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If the housing isn't bent or damaged in any way it can be reused. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance though...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If that sucker isn't bent then I would go with it's proven toughness and replace the damaged pieces and get on down the road.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
It's better to be safe then sorry! I'm just going to replace it, I'm going to pick the axle tomorrow and hopefully I'll get my truck back on the road soon :)

Redtruck-VA- no, the housing of the axle isn't bent.

:happy160:

Good choice. Like I said in my earlier post better to be safe and spend a bit more, than to be sorry and spend a lot more. Safety should be at the top of all our minds, especially in wet and wintery conditions. Even if the old housing seems alright it could be hiding damage that cannot be seen by untrained eyes.

Failure is not an option when our lives are on the line. :birgits_tiredcoffee

OP
OP
Colton B

Colton B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
chedched- That's what I'm going to do, I don't want to risk anything.

Redtruck-VA- I'm just going to replace it, so I know it'll be good to go. It's going to suck going to from 3.92s to 3.55s but I'd rather be safe at this point.

MoparMulisha- I'm 2 wheel drive.

:happy160:

Good choice. Like I said in my earlier post better to be safe and spend a bit more, than to be sorry and spend a lot more. Safety should be at the top of all our minds, especially in wet and wintery conditions. Even if the old housing seems alright it could be hiding damage that cannot be seen by untrained eyes.

Failure is not an option when our lives are on the line. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Exactly what I'm thinking now, I thought I would be better just trying to repair the old one but I'm not going to risk anything from what everybody said. When I get back on the road I'm going to drive a lot safer for the conditions. Especially since this was my first accident and the first time I've done any damaged to my truck.

Thanks For all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I'm picking up a new axle later today so hopeful my truck will be back up and running soon :)

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a couple out your way with the 3.92's, one is in Buckley and the other two are in Portland Oregan.