Rear brake hose 3rd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justinm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

First post here, hoping to get some help. I'm a little bewildered on the passenger side rear hose replacement. Mine collapsed so I bought a new one and can't seem to get the old one off the hard line. The drivers rear came with a hard line attached to it.

Has anyone replaced this before and is there a trick?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

RamPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

First post here, hoping to get some help. I'm a little bewildered on the passenger side rear hose replacement. Mine collapsed so I bought a new one and can't seem to get the old one off the hard line. The drivers rear came with a hard line attached to it.

Has anyone replaced this before and is there a trick?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
I think I just recently dealt with this. Original was one piece. I tried, but was unable to come up with anything other than a 2 piece solution. I cut the original leaving a short section of steel tubing attached to the flex end (leak on top of differential) and had to bend new steel tubing and attach using compression fittings. Used the section I cut out as a template to bend the new line.

Not quite the solution I was looking for, but seems to be holding up. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

Justinm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely not what I was trying to do. It would be nice if it came with the hard line or if you could buy the hard line like the driver side.

Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
J

Justinm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This seems to be the only option. Did you use regular compression fittings from Home Depot/lowes? Did you cut it the whole way back or just a little? Thanks.

RamPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This seems to be the only option. Did you use regular compression fittings from Home Depot/lowes? Did you cut it the whole way back or just a little? Thanks.
Well, the easiest way would be to cut out the bad section and use 2 fittings to splices in a new section. I just took the section I cut out, which was from the T all the way past the clip to secure the line on the passenger side of the differential to a NAPA store, to get the correct size and length of tube, and they had a compression connection in store. Probably brass, with brass ferrule, just like you'd find at home depot/ lowes. Never bent a brake line before, but used a can of seafoam to sweep the curves, bent with my hands. Once you get a couple bends done, you can tape the old and new together and continue bending to get a pretty good approximation. The compression fittings seemed an easier solution than using a double flaring tool which I don't have, and hope to never need.

This was not what I had in mind when I initially tackled this, but Ram is my daily driver and I had some ABS issues that also needed attention. I'm happy to report that after replacing the leaking line and purchasing a new scan tool, I started with 5 ABS codes and after replacing the left front wheel speed sensor, I've been able to put the brake issues behind me. (Well, my parking brake light still flashes, but this is low priority.)

Hope this helps.