Repainting Grille?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so I have a 2002, 1500 QC SLT Sport. I'd like to repaint the grille but was looking for feedback on my idea (I'm not that great at visualizing things).

14481bee4324d03c7e69ef5c90fe8d0c.jpg

I'd like to paint the red portion of the grille a semi-gloss black, then paint the chrome slats red (to match the truck).

Anyone have any thoughts on how that might look? Or have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Kyle360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I think that would be dope. I have the damn chrome grill and want to paint it myself. I would if I were you take all the necessary steps cleaning sanding and priming it so that way it will be less prone to chipping or pealing and if I may ask why semi gloss why not flat black. you could always try plasti dip that way if you don't like it you can peel it off

OP
OP
argroft

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never cared for a true flat black, I always thought it looked kinda like it was unfinished. I prefer a satin/ semi-gloss look. Anyway, I had planned to clean, sand, prime, then paint.

I thought about using electrical tape to mock it up to see how it looked first. Plasti-dip is an okay idea, but I don't want to remove the grille twice or do the prep work twice. I'm also still up in the air on whether I want to keep the bar on the front or not. It came with the truck.

Kyle360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
well if you clean and sand and prime then plasti dip will keep the finish when covered and stripped. True why do it twice if you don't have to. where are you located might wanna buy that bull bar if you wanna sell it.

OP
OP
argroft

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in south central pa. I'll have to see what it looks like after I paint the grille. The bull bar needs a little work though, maybe some new paint and a little straightening on the sheet metal piece.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 3rd gen I did this but instead of using paint I used dupilcolor bedliner to match my bumpers and front receivers. The duplicolor coating was paintable and I put a semi gloss black over it with a semi gloss clear over that.

I had the chrome though so I did things different but you can just sand it down like you would any other body work and then paint. Lots of instruction on youtube that can help.

As for the chrome grills, scuff them up well with a scotchbrite pad and use a etching primer then paint like you would anything.

Here is my ram with grill painted
Photo838.jpg

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its not exactly what your looking for or color but this may kinda give you a visual

IMAG0368.jpg

I'd go with something like this, cause you have a full painted front end, having just a black grill with no other black to go with it on the body it will look kinda out of place imo

OP
OP
argroft

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's pretty close to what I want to do. I like the black inset border, but I'm not sure if my 3rd gen grille had a sharp enough bend to pull that off. I was thinking full black and hoping it would tire in with the fender flares and black wheels. I'm thinking I'm definitely going to have to mock this up first when I get home. I'll post some picks when I'm done with that.

tourdemon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so I have a 2002, 1500 QC SLT Sport. I'd like to repaint the grille but was looking for feedback on my idea (I'm not that great at visualizing things).

14481bee4324d03c7e69ef5c90fe8d0c.jpg

I'd like to paint the red portion of the grille a semi-gloss black, then paint the chrome slats red (to match the truck).

Anyone have any thoughts on how that might look? Or have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Quick Photoshop to give you a visual.

OP
OP
argroft

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick Photoshop to give you a visual.
I wish I knew how to Photoshop, but I greatly appreciate the job you did. I think I like it for the most part. The hood deflector is going to go and the black might be slightly less glossy though. I think I'm going to mock it up in the style of the 4th gen photo and see if it looks a little less attention grabbing, but still has the same concept. Thanks again tourdemon!

OP
OP
argroft

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do like the looks of this a little more. I'm still going to mock it up so I can get a better feel for it, but I think the inside black only I'd probably the way to go. Thanks!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is where Plasti-dip is awesome to see if you really like the look before you fully commit to paint....

I'd get a can of red and black dip do it up drive it around a bit and see how you like it... its a lot cheaper and doesn't damage the paint at all.

Edit: Oh and a set of black headlights would look a crap ton better with the paint changes too.
Something like this
http://www.carid.com/2005-dodge-ram-headlights/anzo-euro-headlights-12752767.html

Last edited:

tourdemon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is where Plasti-dip is awesome to see if you really like the look before you fully commit to paint....

I'd get a can of red and black dip do it up drive it around a bit and see how you like it... its a lot cheaper and doesn't damage the paint at all.

Edit: Oh and a set of black headlights would look a crap ton better with the paint changes too.
Something like this
Anzo® 111022 - Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 2005 Black Euro Headlights

Agree, black lights rock!

OP
OP
argroft

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm not sure how I feel.
52d4439b370092957e60311fb7469f62.jpg

That's a quick idea (ran out of tape). I don't feel like there's quite enough black with the red slats. Maybe it's time to experiment with plasti-dip.

As for the black headlights, I like them and want them, but I have some costs to recoup from on the audio upgrade I just did.

2fade429d51df2300d641c6527f490b7.jpg
10" sub installed in the rear of the center console.
a44e777cd4a5569e38a5295431148fd0.jpg
New center console. Complete with 4wd shifter, wireless charging, led cup holder and bass control.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a great idea on the wireless charging!!! Mind sharing how you did it?

Oh and looks good!

OP
OP
argroft

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a great idea on the wireless charging!!! Mind sharing how you did it?

Oh and looks good!
Since I built the console from the floor up, it was rather simple. You can see the charging pad mounted recessed into the one storage tray. I just ran a micro usb from there into a usb charger that's plugged into the power point I covered up.

In other news:
847ceb649ec810e8cbdd708f38e1da28.jpg
Plasti-dip coat one = done. Removing the grille slats sucked...

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't mess around.... I think it will look good like that.

What charger pad did you use? I'll have to go look at some, but I know nothing about them.

Ethan0524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm not sure how I feel.
52d4439b370092957e60311fb7469f62.jpg

That's a quick idea (ran out of tape). I don't feel like there's quite enough black with the red slats. Maybe it's time to experiment with plasti-dip.

As for the black headlights, I like them and want them, but I have some costs to recoup from on the audio upgrade I just did.

Here are some black and red options I chopped for ya, maybe this will help with visualization?

Red:
picture.php

Black:
picture.php