Replacing rear quarter panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jif102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesle
I have a 2003 diesel quad cab 8 ft bed single rear wheel. The area above the wheel wells are rusting out. Is it possible to replace the outside quarter panel only? This is happening on both wheels. Would it be easier to find a replacement bed and be done with it? I also need a new tailgate.

gurowar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Funny you say that I was looking the other day for a tail gate for my 04 and I was looking at rock auto and accidentally pulled up quarter panels instead of tail gates so they do sell quarter panels for replacement. Hope that helps....I cannot answer on how to replace them but I believe you have to cut out the rusted piece and weld in the new quarter panel. But I will leave that to the more season folks on this forum to answer on the how to. Buy the way they also sell tail gates as well, a replacement for mine will run me 80 bucks at Rock auto

OP
OP
J

jif102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesle
I did see the panels for sale at a few places. I was wondering if anyone has done that and what work it might take.

porkchophemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 ram
Engine
comman rail
wheelers autobody suppy you can get wheel archs I just had mine done

OP
OP
J

jif102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesle
Gurowar, When you bought the tailgate from Rock auto what did you get? was it a complete tailgate or just the skin?

thanks

Funny you say that I was looking the other day for a tail gate for my 04 and I was looking at rock auto and accidentally pulled up quarter panels instead of tail gates so they do sell quarter panels for replacement. Hope that helps....I cannot answer on how to replace them but I believe you have to cut out the rusted piece and weld in the new quarter panel. But I will leave that to the more season folks on this forum to answer on the how to. Buy the way they also sell tail gates as well, a replacement for mine will run me 80 bucks at Rock auto

gurowar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't bought it yet I am waiting for it to get warmer here in Chicago but it is a new tail gate. You still have to put the hardware on it and prime and paint it but it is new. Here is the link: More Information for VARIOUS MFR CH1900121

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
A few vendors are offering color matched brand new tailgates on ebay for a few hundred bucks. Definitely not an oem gate with paint for the price they are listed.