Retrofit Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsurmanek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know at least some of this is probably already on the forum, but can't seem to find these specific answers.

I am looking to make some custom headlights for my '08 Ram 1500. I have stock headlights, but the lenses are quite scratched and I would like to have some time to work on this, so I would like to buy a set to work on while still having my stock headlights installed on my truck.

Overall I'm looking to paint the housing black (the rest of my truck is blacked out), retrofit HID projectors, add oracle SMD LED Rings, shave the turn stalks, and possibly switch/paint/tint the side amber reflectors.

For the retrofit, I'm looking at the BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (H1).
  • What's the difference between the "Morimoto 3Five (35w)" and the "OEM Denso w/ AMP Conversion" ballasts?
  • What's the difference between the Morimoto 3Five and the Morimoto XB35 Bulbs?
  • The Morimoto XB LED Halo - will that fit behind any of the shrouds? Also, can I just wire those together with the Oracle Rings and have 2 sets of halos?
  • Can't seem to find a good example of the difference between 4300K, 5000k, and 6000k
  • Will this kit fit directly into the stock headlight housing without any cutting? If not what needs to be cut?
  • Is there anything else I will need that's not included in this kit?
  • Any other brand/model I should consider instead?

Oracle rings I am planning on getting ORACLE SMD Halo Kit.
  • Will these require MULTIFUNCTION Remote Control no matter what?
  • How do I wire these so that they automatically turn on and off with my truck?

I can't decide exactly what I want to do with the side amber reflectors:
  • Is there a way to tint them so that they reflect but look black?
  • Where can I buy clear replacements? (so that they aren't such an eye sore)
  • Are either of the previous options (or painting them with the housing) legal?

Quick questions about painting:
  • Should I try to strip off all of the chrome coating before painting?
  • Would you recommend using a clear coat? (I live in sunny Arizona)
  • Any brands that will work better than others for painting the housings and shrouds?

Where would you recommend buying new replacement headlights that will fit both the projector kit and the Oracle rings?

If there is a 'How-to' for the retrofit specific to the 2007-08 headlights I would really appreciate a link.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

p.s. I've never done this before (obviously) but I love to customize, and I'm sure I'll figure it out, just need some help getting started and making sure I get the right supplies. Excited to get some answers so I can start working and post pictures.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Holy lots of questions! :D

I've done a few hundred of these....so, here goes!

I know at least some of this is probably already on the forum, but can't seem to find these specific answers.

I am looking to make some custom headlights for my '08 Ram 1500. I have stock headlights, but the lenses are quite scratched and I would like to have some time to work on this, so I would like to buy a set to work on while still having my stock headlights installed on my truck.

Overall I'm looking to paint the housing black (the rest of my truck is blacked out), retrofit HID projectors, add oracle SMD LED Rings, shave the turn stalks, and possibly switch/paint/tint the side amber reflectors.

For the retrofit, I'm looking at the BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (H1).
  • What's the difference between the "Morimoto 3Five (35w)" and the "OEM Denso w/ AMP Conversion" ballasts? 3Fives are the standard ballast, which are a great set - will do just fine for your retrofit. OEM ballasts are the cream of the crop, but I don't see the need to run them on a budget setup, ie - an H1 projector swap.
  • What's the difference between the Morimoto 3Five and the Morimoto XB35 Bulbs? The XB35s are the newest one from TRS, and have a metal base, which should keep any variances in the glass at an absolute minimum. Bottom line, they are the top dog on rebased bulbs.
  • The Morimoto XB LED Halo - will that fit behind any of the shrouds? Yes, they will fit behind most of the TRS line, except the Mini Gatlings. Also, can I just wire those together with the Oracle Rings and have 2 sets of halos? Sure!
  • Can't seem to find a good example of the difference between 4300K, 5000k, and 6000k They are very hard to get a GOOD one....as everyone's camera is different. Rule of thumb? Want some yellow? 4300. Want some blue? 6K. Want neither? 5K.
  • Will this kit fit directly into the stock headlight housing without any cutting? If not what needs to be cut? Slight trimming is needed on the inner flange where the halogen bulb resides.
  • Is there anything else I will need that's not included in this kit? If you order the harness at the same time, nope. (just need to ensure you get the right harness, the Mopar one).
  • Any other brand/model I should consider instead? not unless you feel like cutting a LOT.

Oracle rings I am planning on getting ORACLE SMD Halo Kit.
  • Will these require MULTIFUNCTION Remote Control no matter what? No, they are a 2 wire connection. Run them to whatever you want.
  • How do I wire these so that they automatically turn on and off with my truck? Find a location in the fuse box that functions in the manner you want, and tap that.

I can't decide exactly what I want to do with the side amber reflectors:
  • Is there a way to tint them so that they reflect but look black? Light tint, sure.
  • Where can I buy clear replacements? (so that they aren't such an eye sore) There are some eBay lights that clear reflectors, but the housings are not the best of quality.
  • Are either of the previous options (or painting them with the housing) legal? This varies by state.

Quick questions about painting:
  • Should I try to strip off all of the chrome coating before painting? Yes, remove it.
  • Would you recommend using a clear coat? (I live in sunny Arizona) OH HELL YES
  • Any brands that will work better than others for painting the housings and shrouds? Any automotive paint will work, with the right prep and clearing.

Where would you recommend buying new replacement headlights that will fit both the projector kit and the Oracle rings? I have these on my site - including the HIDs for your truck, and the projectors.

Headlights - TYC 07-08 Ram Headlights
Mini H1 projectors - Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors
HIDs - 2006-2008 Dodge Ram HIDs - for H13 lights

If you don't see the shroud you want, let me know - I may have it here, and if not I can get it SOON. I am an authorized retailer from TRS, selling the same products at a discount to the forum members.

If there is a 'How-to' for the retrofit specific to the 2007-08 headlights I would really appreciate a link. I don't have a full write up on these

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

p.s. I've never done this before (obviously) but I love to customize, and I'm sure I'll figure it out, just need some help getting started and making sure I get the right supplies. Excited to get some answers so I can start working and post pictures.

Hit me up if you have any questions, and we'd love to get you whatever parts you need for your build. :rockit: [email protected]

OP
OP
D

dsurmanek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks!! Just shot u an email!