Running boards or no

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsmith180601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure its been discussed before but what are all y'alls opinion? I mean I'm leaning towards no cuz I do a offroading and last time I damaged the back of the passenger side board. But on the other hand my fiance is short and has trouble getting in without them

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

Ceace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you would want your fiance comfortable. Her happy means you will be happy. I added them on my truck because I am 5'5" and it was not comfortable getting in and out. Not to mention I have kids and a wife a tad shorter than me. My 2 cents, add them.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, it doesn't matter what anyone here likes, it's what you like or need that matters.

Having said that though. I don't think running boards go well with off road fun. Maybe steps instead of running boards would be a good compromise.

Ray

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My wife had some put on her '07 1500 quad cab sport 4x4 after wanting them for several years. They are the tube type, I think made by Smittybuilt.

She likes them, though I don't think I have ever witnessed her use them to step up into the truck. I find them annoying and a pain, as they always rub the back of my calf as I exit the cab and try to step out over them. Annoying on a good day, a real mess when they are covered with mud, road grime and whatever else.

I have yet to damage them off roading, but I don't really 'wheel the truck all that hard.

I would like some nice, tucked in 'slider type rock rails for the new Power Wagon, but all seem to have the same issues; trading ground clearance for potential protection of the cab's soft undersides.

End result as stated previously, get the little lady what makes her happy. There are bigger issues to sweat over in this crazy mixed up world.

:****:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally hate how running boards look. Yet I still have a set, and they save my seats.
At least people do a 1/2 way decent job of lugging their lazy asses into the truck with them.

I wish more people would use them to step out instead of sliding their fatness off my seat.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
:rotflmao:

That is funny... because it is true. In the four year we had the truck before putting the tube step rail on there, the driver side seat has been destroyed on the outer edge. I can't tell you how many times I have been hung up on the plastic hinge cover when wearing baggy shorts or whatever.

We are a bit on the chubby side, so we inflict more interior wear and tear such as this than most. Or at least I thought so.

All the older style aluminum flat running boards that I have encountered are always so flimsy that I am freaked to put my full body weight on them anyway due to all the flex. On my Ford E350 Class C RV, I have bent them down while using them to stand on them trying to squeegee the windshield.

I guess the pro's of being little is that you generally weigh less and do less damage to the seat edges and boards. The Cons being that being smaller in size, you have to use the boards to get in and out in the first place, or have to run and jump to get in.

Hell, at 6'02" / 225 # I still have to make a run at the new Power Wagon and grab the windshield post hand hold to climb up in that beasty. It is way up off the ground. Climbing in the 1500 4x4 after driving the other truck makes it seem like a low rider that I can just step out of.

Different needs for different folks I guess.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Here is something you may concider: Bully Side Step At StylinTrucks.com

Got a pair of these for my truck for the same reason as you. My wife is 5'2" in heals. She complains about having to need a step ladder tog et into my truck all the time and wants me to lower it. Well not gonna lower it due to where I go hunting so had to do something. Gotta keep the missus happy. Recently I replaced them with a set of the Mopar nerf bars/side steps. They look a bit better on my truck. The steps though should not hang up on anything in your offroading excussions.

Or these which should not get damaged at all: http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/b...and-trade_automatic_running_boards/24176.aspx

Last edited:

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My wife is 5'2" in heels.

Pics? :emotions33:

Those are interesting and pretty heavy duty looking, but they are only adjustable and lock in to the various settings during installation, right ?

So, you can't fold them up when the going gets dirty, or they hit something?

They look like they would seriously snag on something like an anchor when motoring over a ledge or something off road.

At least with the tubular steps, they are smooth and will glide across the terrain rather than hook into it when bottomed out, even if the whole length of the tube gets pushed up, it might protect the lower sheetmetal (or at least the paint).

I guess if you have a big enough lift, don't intend on really climbing around off road, or as already pointed out, most importantly have a short enough lady (or life partner :/ ) they can work out just fine.

Everyone just needs to assess their own personal needs and intended uses.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ahhh, you edited your post right as I was addressing those very same concerns.

Yeah, those in that last link appear to be the win/win answer to it all.

But ,damn they are pricy!

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
No to running boards....yes to AMP steps. I know they are like taking out a second loan, but they really are worth it. I have people all the time as me how I get in and out of my truck. Out of sight when you don't need them. Open the door and out rolls the step. Best thing since sliced bread IMO.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a set of the amp steps on my wifes truck, yes they are a bit pricey, but well worth the cost. And when they are retracted if you set them up right you will lose no ground clearance at all.

OP
OP
J

jsmith180601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm definitely gonna consider the amp steps. But right now were in the middle of buying a house so for right now my fiance is gonna have to jump. Besides my truck is my weekend warrior lol I use a little 4 cyclinder Saturn sl1 beater to commute to work

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good info. So, they are pretty durable? Not that I PLAN on going out and smashing them, but for the price I would hate to ruin them the first time I ran them over an slickrock overhang out here, which is just inevitable with the long wheelbase of the PW and my nutty intentions of getting it wherever I can.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The amp steps are pretty durable, and parts for them can be gotten fairly easily. I myself have had no problems with the ones I stuck on my wifes truck as of yet, but she does not go offroading at all (well except her one excursion into a ditch when run off the road by a drunk).

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine