Rust problem/Chipped paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have some nasty paint chips, which are now starting to rust. Got a couple random ones higher up, and one on the front chrome bumper. It's starting to spread and move under the paint. Most are 2-3 inches from the bottom, from gravel and the bigger ones from Offroad. What route should I take to fix this? Before it gets worse and lowers the value of my truck, thanks y'all.
-Zak

null_zps8450f914.jpg
null_zpsd2b60c73.jpg

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Line X the rockers, they will take out the surface rust during prep.

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'll probably be fixing it in 3 weeks after I move. But I'd like to knock it all out at once, so you think I should line-x the rockers and bout 2 inches up the door? Or just take it to the body shop and have them repair and paint everything. I mean I can't even see the rust standing up, looking down on it. Only when I kneel down to look.

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Okay, disregard that last post. I was confused on what "rocker panels" were. I just looked it up though. I'll look into that, Thanks KGBIG :)

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Line X the rockers, they will take out the surface rust during prep.

exactly what I was thinking, plus protect it in the future, give it the offroad look too.

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Think it'll look good? Alright sweet, Ill get a quote from them. Would y'all prefer Line-X over Rhino liner or other ones?

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My goodness. Emailed them and got a quote, dude said $750....lol

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
wow...forget that, really??

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
my rockers were rhino lined. cannt remember for sure now how much. think it was 800$ color matched. awesome that way. never have to worry again.

how much do you think it is gonna be to get painted and the rust fixed? bet it is close to that if not more. and it will just happen again.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Spray rubberized undercoating, do it yourself, just mask off rocker and up.

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah really! Lol. I'm assuming its possibly bc he doesn't know exactly what I want, it's only over email. But from talons post, maybe not lol. I was only guessing 200-400 at my local body shop. I may have to stop by and ask though, I may be under selling. Or email& stop by a couple liner shops....

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yea, stop in, once they see how small they will be doing, may be alot cheaper.

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Rubberized under coating? Alright ill look into that. And it's just surface rust....for now...but wanna stop it before it progresses , but if paint repair and liner repair are similar prices, ill go liner. So it won't happen again, and add 'value' to the truck lol.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yea, NAPA, Home Depot, etc should have it

OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hmm, says it resist rust? So would I need to sand down the acquired area, treat the rust, and then spray rubber spray? Or just spray right over the paint and everything. Wouldn't want the rust to develop under the paint/rubber spray/line-x whatever path I choose lol.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i cannt help you on the rust. mine wasnt rusted. but por15 will stop the rust. then coat it with whatever you want.

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On your next truck put a set of mud flaps on that will stop a lot of rocks and junk from flying up and hitting the rockers and will protect rthe running boards if you have them.

Cheaper than Linex and or body work.

Ike

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Zakk Line-X is not cheap because of A) the warranty B) the product and C) like everything else your paying for the name. Rhino has a do it yourself kit that Dave used to do and all his stuff looked good also. A good body shop is gonna be over 1k for what all you want done, Macco or something like that would be a ton cheaper but the quality will not be there and highly doubt they will be able to blend the panels worth a damn.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
kenneth i dont think what dave used was rhino liner. it was herculiner i think. but turned out nice. just get the uv protectant or it will fade. we did my sons rockers on his truck in herculiner and it turned out pretty good. just didnt use the uv protectant. big mistake. now its flat and chalkey looking until you spray it with tire shine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well I dont have a paint gun (I could always invest in one), otherwise Herculiner sounds like a good idea.
but thanks Kenneth and Zack. Yeah I wouldnt go to macco lol! :p I'll just take it in and see if I can get it a little less than 750 ;) I def think Line-X would look better after looking at some pics. Also better than just repainting, to have them chipped again....lol

I'll probably do it in about a month when I move back to DFW, and will update then! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock