School me on exterior, bumpers, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I've had a Dodge Truck in the past and it was a beater so I really didn't pay much attention to them. But since I sent the beater to the pasture and picked up a new one I've started paying more attention to others out there. Been thinking about the master plan for updates and mods.

Grills: Mine is chrome but I think I like the painted look. Granted I could probably work mine over to paint it but are there paintable ones out there?

Rear Bumper: I've seen two Rams now with painted rear bumper with Dual exhaust cutout (or bumps in the bottom) Are these a factory bumper? I like that look. Don't think I've seen aftermarket ones like this yet....but I'm still just getting started looking at things.

Front Bumper: Similar to the grill I like the painted look. Mine has the lower half chrome. This I see lots of options out their for aftermarket ones. But I've seen a few on the street that look factory with painted bumpers. I've seen several threads on the Sport bumpers so I'm assuming that's the factory painted one.

Taillights: My rear tail lights are not smooth but have two round bump outs. I've not seen any otheres like these, yet. Are these factory? I'd post a pic but the phone is craping out and too lazy to dig out the big dog camera right now.

Thanks for the replies and education for the somewhat newbie to Rams.

:)

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can get grille shells that you can paint or plenty of people paint their own, rear bumper, may as well paint it too, the ones with the exhaust cut outs are 09 and up, not sure if they'll fit a 3g. For the front, try and find someone selling a sport bumper cover, they look better anyway.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
There are some rams before 09 that had a bumper with two bumps and the exhaust out the back. It was on the GTX package, but that was basically a cover over the regular bumper. You are better off buying the paintable grill for the front.....getting paint to adhere properly to the plastic chome that you have is difficult.

Yes your tail lights are oem. In 07 and 08 that was the oem design. If you prefer the smooth there are aftermarket lights you can buy that are basically plug and play......to put an 06 oem tail light on your truck you have to modify the harness

CaliDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree with all this...the best way to do your grill if your going to paint it is to have it professionally sand blasted and painted/powder coated at your local body shop

OP
OP
mikehutch

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies.

I actually like the taillights just hadn't see any like them...until today I say another truck with them.

Did a quick local search and found some prospects for a painted grill so that should be straight foward.

Then to decide what to do with the bumpers.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the sport bumper requires more than just a bumper cover. it needs the braces and what not behind the cover as well.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
On the 02-05 you have to really cut up the chrome bumper to get the sport cover to work...i read that on 06-08 it is much easier vs buying all the support stuff

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Just paint what you want painted.
handles/mirrors/bumpers/grill shells/headlight housings/tail lights.

Stock
Common 02-05 SLT setup
5300881810_2cc179fe4d.jpg

4878080038_a842f397b6.jpg

Painted Roll pan/Handles/Mirrors/Grille Shell/SS bumper/Tail Lights
5300853548_63dbbf114d_b.jpg

5300858834_50dbc927d6_b.jpg

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
SLT-8's lookin Good Daniel. Mike the Options are endless.

I had my pipes exiting the sides and then switched to out the rear with a different tip rather than the round.

2011-04-23204748.jpg

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
If you could have mixed some of that blue in with the satin black look you got now it be sick. The hemi orange and satin black theme you got going now is pretty Damn nice too though.