some tire questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmoore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1) My 07 Quad Cab, 4x4 hemi has the original shoes on it (275 x 60R20s) - at 23k. (Can't recall what they are - and it's out in the lot:) They are basically "street" tires that probably have another 5-10k left on them. I'm starting to look now for tires that I'll get in a few months. This past winter (my first with this truck) I found them to be SERIOUSLY lacking in traction. So - for the new tires, I'm looking for something with better 4 season grip. I do not go off road, and I spend 10 - 20 percent of my driving at highway speeds. Suggestions?

2) Has anyone used online places like TireRack? What are the pros & cons????

TIA

john

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
so it sounds like you want to stick with the same size, and want something a little more aggressive to hand snow in the winter. How much are you looking to spend?

OP
OP
J

jmoore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so it sounds like you want to stick with the same size, and want something a little more aggressive to hand snow in the winter. How much are you looking to spend?

Yes in terms of what I'm looking for, and $1200 - 1300 or so out the door would be nice. (Less would be even nicer:)

TIA

john

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I obviously can't help you with snow...being in Florida we don't have any idea what that's like. :)

I can tell you that I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck and I do mostly highway driving, some dirt (not serious offroading since I'm 4x2) and occasionally on the beach. They have never let me down and they are not all that loud on the highway. Can't even hear them over the radio. And they seem to be wearing well. They should be in your price range for 275/65/20s.

Cooper Zeons have been pretty popular too. I think they are probably even a little cheaper (depending on the area you are in).

As far as buying tires online, lots of people do. The only thing to be aware of is you will still need to take them somewhere for mounting, balancing, etc. So that will be an extra expense in addition to the cost of the tires. I got mine from Discount Tire and they ended up being about the same or cheaper than I could have gotten from Tire Rack and then taken them somewhere for mounting.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I was gonna suggest the cooper zeon ltz's or i think you can get firestone destination at's for the 20's

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I bought the set of tires that are on my truck from TireRack about a month ago. I ordered them one day, and they were at my house less than 24 hours later. Shipping was about $75 IIRC, and that was for some heavy AT's.

Get on their site and see if they have any authorized dealers or installation centers in your area. You can get them delivered there and usually they'll cut you a deal on mounting/balancing them too

DeputyDipShizz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Zeons and love them...Used em all season in the PA ice and snow this year...Same size you are looking for too...and I must say they are a damn good looking tire too

=TAPAtalkAHOLIC=

OP
OP
J

jmoore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for all the feedback....

I have the Zeons and love them...Used em all season in the PA ice and snow this year...Same size you are looking for too...and I must say they are a damn good looking tire too

=TAPAtalkAHOLIC=

Been researching a bit - and I'm currently leaning towards the Zeons. 90+% of folks LOVE them, and the remainder hate em - usually d/t some sort of defect or excessive wear problem (even though many in the 90% group say they get great wear???) I'm wondering if it's an rare manufacturing problem and/or a tire inflation problem?

Regardless - I think I'm going to try and track down a set. And yes, they're a damned nice looking set of tires:)

Thanks again guys!

john

Guardian2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After spending some time looking at upgrading my tires and wheels the number one issue for the wear problem seems to be people who decided not to rotate the tires, ever.