Tailgate??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pantherfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have any info on a barn door style tailgate for my 08 1500? I have a work top on it and it would be nice to get the tailgate open and out of the way when working out of the back. Any ideas are much appreciated.. Thanks

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Can't say I've ever seen or heard of one. Doesn't mean they don't exist though...

SyrenSkywolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 - Hedman Shorties - K&N CAI
Can't say I can help you on tailgates. Most of them that I see are integrated into the cap with the actual tailgate removed.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
A friend customized one he got from a junk yard. Modified it so that the tailgate would open in the middle and swing all the way to the sides of the bed. Took him around 2 weeks to get it right.

OP
OP
P

pantherfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A friend customized one he got from a junk yard. Modified it so that the tailgate would open in the middle and swing all the way to the sides of the bed. Took him around 2 weeks to get it right.

I'd love to see how he did it, I've found the kits to make it swing all the way from left to right and vice versa but I definitely nee the middle.. I'll keep working on the idea and somehow make it work...

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
He did a complete custom job. It is nice that he owns his own body shop and did 90% of the work himself. If I remember I will get some pics for you.
He first cut the tailgate in half right down the middle. Using the parts from a van he modified them to work with his tailgate. The hinges he custom made. Not sure what other parts he used but it works real well and is very stable open and closed.