Tinting Windshield- Anyone done it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently have 5% on my back three windows and 20% on my front two. I plan on getting a 5% brow as well as lightly tinting the windshield. Maybe a 75% or so. Just wondering if anyone has done it and how dark you went. I'm aware it's illegal but I'll take the chance.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I had mine tinted almost 2 years ago now. I went with 40%, just enough to help with the sun and not enough to be a problem at night. The law hasnt bothered me at all since ive had it done. 75% would be like nothing is there. If you end up having it done, remove you inspection sticker and clean the glass good (if you have one). Mine looks terrible because the tint shop cut around the sticker.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Depending upon where you live you may not be able to get your truck inspected after you tint it. All states forbid tinting the whole windshield and where I live they will make you take it off on the side of the road. I do not suggest it at all.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to do it and darken my other three, but I keep putting it off. I'd do at least 50% on there, 75% is like nothing.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have Air80 on mine. it's 80% Ceramic tint.
I didn't do it to make it dark, but it helps block a lot of heat, and that's what I was after.

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 50% on mine.
Love it.
If you have stickers just have them lay the film right over them.
I'll be careful to cut and stick the new stickers when that time comes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We don't have inspections here in CA so that won't be an issue. Safety is what I'd be worried about. I want something that won't affect how i see out. The 20% on my front two now can get sketchy. 50 seems like the way to go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
We don't have inspections here in CA so that won't be an issue. Safety is what I'd be worried about. I want something that won't affect how i see out. The 20% on my front two now can get sketchy. 50 seems like the way to go.

Best thing to do then is get the cling style in several grades. Stick it on at night and see which allows you too see the best at night. You should be able to still see very clearly out the front windshield without any distortion.

OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best thing to do then is get the cling style in several grades. Stick it on at night and see which allows you too see the best at night. You should be able to still see very clearly out the front windshield without any distortion.

Never thought of that. Great idea

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Have had 50% for 3-4 years now on the truck. Got a fix it for my 20% sides but they never mentioned the windshield. Its still on.

Jeep on other hand had 35% and got about a year before i got a fix it. To much for me so i am happy that i removed it.

7596775794_19f0e35879_b.jpg

from the inside
5337295574_893fbc75e3_b.jpg

5336674083_94d7e37a17_b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how does 50 look at night? No issues visually?
Are your side windows tinted, i figure that would make things darker as well if you're looking from the outside.

Last edited:

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm... this is really making me think of doing a 50% over my windshield. Was going to add a 5% brow on the bottom of the windshield but im kind of liking this idea better now.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have Air80 on mine. it's 80% Ceramic tint.
I didn't do it to make it dark, but it helps block a lot of heat, and that's what I was after.

After years of living in CA and fearing being hassled for ANY tint at all on the sides of all my various vehicles over the year, I stepped up and did it for all the same reasons WhiteExpress stated.

I do not recall the %, but went with the lightest, just to keep the interior cool in the blazing AZ / UT summer desert heat and protect both me and the dash from UV.

The place I went to would only install "Ceramic" Tint on front windows, due to it's higher quality and clarity. You can't even tell I have the full windshield done, and even in low light out here in pitch black nights, it is not a problem.

But, I waited until I knew I would be out here where I live now, where LEO's do not care at all about full tint all the way around, even Limo on the sides.
This is a HUGE difference from CA, where the CHP just loved to issue citations for even the slightest tint on the front sides. Even up in the High Desert community where I lived.

I can understand an "Officer Safety" issue with approaching a Blacked Out car in a big city. But, it is just plain cruel to force people to just sit and bake in the sun out in these harsh desert areas with Insane summer temps.

But, common sense should be used, so you don't push your luck or look suspicious.

In all the time I have had mine done, no one, not even passengers have noticed or commented on the front windshield. And it does work.

MUCH cooler while driving, or especially when entering a vehicle that has been parked out in the sun for a long period of time.

Just get good stuff, like the Ceramic. It is worth it.

*Another tip; If you can get a Doctor's note for skin, eyes, whatever, you can carry that with you and be exempt from most states Tint laws. Present it when stopped. It will more than likely prevent a citation, or if it does get issued, it is a clear cut win in court for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After years of living in CA and fearing being hassled for ANY tint at all on the sides of all my various vehicles over the year, I stepped up and did it for all the same reasons WhiteExpress stated.

I do not recall the %, but went with the lightest, just to keep the interior cool in the blazing AZ / UT summer desert heat and protect both me and the dash from UV.

The place I went to would only install "Ceramic" Tint on front windows, due to it's higher quality and clarity. You can't even tell I have the full windshield done, and even in low light out here in pitch black nights, it is not a problem.

But, I waited until I knew I would be out here where I live now, where LEO's do not care at all about full tint all the way around, even Limo on the sides.
This is a HUGE difference from CA, where the CHP just loved to issue citations for even the slightest tint on the front sides. Even up in the High Desert community where I lived.

I can understand an "Officer Safety" issue with approaching a Blacked Out car in a big city. But, it is just plain cruel to force people to just sit and bake in the sun out in these harsh desert areas with Insane summer temps.

But, common sense should be used, so you don't push your luck or look suspicious.

In all the time I have had mine done, no one, not even passengers have noticed or commented on the front windshield. And it does work.

MUCH cooler while driving, or especially when entering a vehicle that has been parked out in the sun for a long period of time.

Just get good stuff, like the Ceramic. It is worth it.

*Another tip; If you can get a Doctor's note for skin, eyes, whatever, you can carry that with you and be exempt from most states Tint laws. Present it when stopped. It will more than likely prevent a citation, or if it does get issued, it is a clear cut win in court for you.

Funny thing, my first truck I had tint put on for that reason, to keep it cool. My motives have changed a bit now. My truck will be getting the "murdered" treatment soon and the windshield would finish off the look. Keeping it cool during the summer is just a plus.

The doctor thing is a good idea also, my sister is very light skinned (although Mexican) but is affected by the sun easily and she has said doctors note with tint on her car. I on the other hand am a bit darker but not by much.

OP
OP
Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I grabbed a quote from my tint guy. He only does ceramic 70 on the front windshield. Quoted me $10 for the 5% strip on top, and 80 for the ceramic windshield.
I think I'm going that route. If i still want darker, I'll have him remove the 20% on the front sides, and throw on limo.