Tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need new rear tires since my fronts are brand new. Now the ones I have are Z rated, is it bad if I don't get Z rated rears?

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just depends on how fast you plan on going, how much weight you are planning on carrying, etc.

Z is a speed rating, but overall ratings seem to improve with that rating, across the board as they will be "better built" tires in general.

What is your concern? Price? Performance? or are you trying to buy a different size that doesn't have the same ratings as the front?

Need more info... what type of truck, etc.

But, as a very basic answer, no. I won't matter. As long as you don't exceed the performance parameters of the new rears, whatever that will be. You can always have things rated for HIGHER than whatever you plan on using them for, but you never want to exceed the lowest ratings. Think of it as the weakest link in the chain. If that makes sense.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck: 02 dodge ram 1500 4.7l with flowmaster exhaust on 22s.

The thing is the rims on this truck are junk. I bought truck used and it came with these chrome rims which were pitted. Since then they have gotten worse. So my plan has been to save up to buy new rims and tires, but that failed when I needed new ball joints and tie rod ends which included the front tires. Now I got a hole in one of my rears, but when looking after getting it patched I noticed I should replace them.

But these rims are junk and honestly I don't need the street performance tires. My plans were to eventually lift the truck and throw some 20s wrapped in 35s probably on it.

Pricing does suck since they were $400 a piece.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, money being tight, it kind of puts thing in a tough spot.

If you have the cash, pick up some stock "new take off" type factory 20" wheels that someone removed when they first bought their truck.

The Goodyears work decent on the road and in light off road. They can be found all over now, at tire stores, ebay or local craigslist type ads.

They will be old, but if stored right, they should be fine, and all ready to bolt right on, with factory balancing, etc.

My '07 1500 4x4 sport came with 20's and the prices for those tires are coming down. Ive been through a couple sets of Coopers on them that are more off road friendly, and they do great in snow, light mud, sand, etc.

You can then sell off the 22's in your own ad and make back the money spent on your new wheel / tire combo.

I wouldn't spend money on the new rears, unless you absolutely have to, and don't have the cash to "front" the money on the purchase of the upcoming wheel / tire combo.

A local tire shop may be interested in your current set, and have a 20'' set laying around and make you a nice, tidy package deal that is convenient.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Scrap the 22s. Spend money on the set that you will be keeping long term. It may be hard to swallow now but it will be harder after you've spent more money on wheels you hate. I'm not a big fan of 20s, I love the fact that I can run 17s. I only wish I could run 16s so my tire choice would have been better.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can 2002 rams run 16s? Found a good winter pair in 16s

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the calipers need some serious grinding to get 16's to fit.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok scratch that.

Found someone with 2011 ram 1500 stock chrome 20s with tires whose asking $600. Waiting on pics to see how it looks.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well talked to my tire guy and found out that the brand new (1 yr old) front tires are discontinued, so I can't order them. The new and improved version is cheaper so I consider getting them and then buy a whole set down road, BUT the tread is different and I'm **** so now back to looking...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45