touchy fog lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kozy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got under the front of my truck to find out why the fogs won't turn on....simply some burnt bulbs, or who knows.
I found the bulb on the passenger side to be burnt out. The bulb on the drivers side was good, but the wires going to the plug were cut, obviously why it wasn't working. I stripped the wires (very hard because there's about 1 inch of wire to work with on the plug side of things, probably should try to find a new plug somewhere with longer wiring) and twisted them together, thoroughly wrapped with electrical tape.

Now the drivers side light works...the passenger bulb is still burnt, haven't replaced it yet....but the drivers side only comes on if I tap the fog light lense. Any ideas what could cause that to happen? It makes no sense to me.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Short it sounds like. Could be a ground or possibly the bulb not seated all the way. I would pull the entire fog light assembly and check it all out. Maybe solder on some leads to make the wire longer since you said they had been cut.

OP
OP
K

kozy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Short it sounds like. Could be a ground or possibly the bulb not seated all the way. I would pull the entire fog light assembly and check it all out. Maybe solder on some leads to make the wire longer since you said they had been cut.

I don't have any wire, solder, or a gun otherwise I'd have already added more wire. It might be better for me to just find a plug from a junkyard and cut it or something like that.

I have been tossing around the purchase of some new projector/halo fog lights but I should probably get this issue resolved before I buy the new stuff. It's just confusing how it could be a short in the wire that's fixed by a simple tap on the glass lense.....

Last edited: