Trackbar & Bushings after 14 months?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
What would cause a track-bar/bushings to wear out on a 1 Ton truck after 14 months and 24,000kms. Usage has been street driving, towing was limited, maybe 1500kms. Is there anything I should be getting the shop to look at that'd be causing this to happen?

Last edited:

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
These are big, heavy trucks. Especially a CTD in a Mega Cab. Even empty, a lot of forces being transferred to the ground (and back).

That said, is it totally stock? Nothing over tightened to eat it up, or out of alignment? No one borrowed the truck and put it sideways into a ditch or got towed out or anything putting a lot of lateral load on it?

We went through a lot of factory front end bushings of the molded hard rubber variety on the Police Package Chargers. But they were beat on.

Is it fractured, all ate out or what? Or someone just say you need it?

Might give a clue to have a look at it.

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm going off what the alignment shop is saying, I've got a lot of faith in their work thus far, haven't steered me wrong so far... I do agree, there's a lot of forces on the front of the truck.

Everything is AFAIK stock. I've left it as such on purpose... No lift (scared of deathwobble), I don't mess with anything down there. I took it in for a varrying amount of pull to the left as I drove.. Some times I could let the truck drive straight, others I had to hold the wheel 15-30deg off center to go straight. When the alignment was done last year (14m ago) the truck drove straight with no issues... $2500 worth of work was done to the front end to replace all the stuff.. now we are replacing some of it again.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
This sounds like a lubrication issue. On most trucks you can get away with once a year doing a full frame, bushing, and bearing lube job. But some need a bit more. If I were you I would upgrade to better bushings from rancho or another high performance suspension company. It would be well worth the investment if they last even twice as long as the stock bushings.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Especially if you are taking it through the ocean puddles every now and again. Even a little spray, or foggy exposure to raw pieces can absolutely remove all grease, and worse yet, replace it with a fine, grainy, salty residue that just goes after things like that. Moving bits, or even stationary surfaces.

If you are doing this for the second time, I would have a look at the parts that come off though. Sometimes people (especially shops that are waay to happy to use an air impact wrench to assemble things) over tighten stuff, causing premature friction and binding. Some items are designed to be a little loose.

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
We live in Calgary Alberta so, no oceans around here, no salt on the roads either. Is this something I should be taking back for a retorque to have then check things?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMO, after a suspension component (like the trac bar or control arms) is loosened / tightened, it should be re-torqued (to a torque spec, not just 'tight' with an impact) after ~100 miles.

Most every lift kit I have ever seen also recommends this after installation.

Is it possible that bargain brand bushings where used? You may upgrade to ProThane or similar polyurethane bushings, they'll ride a bit rougher, but you won't wear them out.

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Dodge parts were used, so ya...

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Lol, that was a vacation pic from 2010... that may be the only time the truck has ever seen the ocean.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2