Trade Chrome rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
Just wanted opinions on if I should trade my chrome rear bumper straight up for a steel roll pan. its black so it would need to get painted. let me know what you think I should do. thanks :D

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Roll pans look good and since you are color matching everything on your truck anyway, I think it would look better than the chrome bumper you have now.

Roll pans range from $150 to 300 new. New chrome bumpers are 300+ It is up to you if you think a straight up trade is worth it.

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
yea well i much rather have a sport rear like yours but I havent been able to find one.

and chrome bumpers dont go for that much here...

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you should get your chrome bumper painted silver or just find somebody near you with the cheap black bumpers and trade bumpers then paint it silver.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think LMC has the sport rear bumper for 250, primered black.

I like the look of a roll pan better than the look of a bumper. But for me, I use my bumper and I would have to get a hidden hitch since you cannot use the factory hitch with a roll pan.

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
I think you should get your chrome bumper painted silver or just find somebody near you with the cheap black bumpers and trade bumpers then paint it silver.

I have that option too i have a friend that has a st in college station that said he would trade. its the fact i dont have time when I go down there to do the swap lol

I think LMC has the sport rear bumper for 250, primered black.

I like the look of a roll pan better than the look of a bumper. But for me, I use my bumper and I would have to get a hidden hitch since you cannot use the factory hitch with a roll pan.

see i do move people sometimes thats why i like the bumper. but i do like both looks. I dont tow and dont even have a hitch on mine...

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have that option too i have a friend that has a st in college station that said he would trade. its the fact i dont have time when I go down there to do the swap lol

Stop being lazy and just go swap them lol

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have a diagram, but it is not had to take off. I just had my bumper off the other weekend to fix so rust.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A couple of sockets. I don't remember what size though. Nothing special though. You have 4 (I think) that connect the bracket to to the frame, and a couple behind the license plate that need to be removed. Hope you have to take the bracket that connects the bumper to the frame off, I think that would be a little bit of a pain, at least that is how it looked so I did not do it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make the trade, but make sure the pan is in good shape first. The first time I ordered a pan it had a dent in it and it looked like crap. Getting the rear bumper off is easy. IIRC from when I did my pan I believe it was just 6 bolts.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Yep, checkout the pan and if it is what you want then trade. Removing the rear bumper is no big deal. Removing the cross member to install the hidden hitch will require lifting the bed. I removed the rear four mounting bolts and just used a floor jack to get the bed high enough to slide the cross member out.

dsc00353web.jpg

I had mine fully welded in place.
dsc00418j.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i'm by no means a painter, but i'm pretty sure those wouldn't be an issue once you get it painted.

my added 2 cents is that I think these trucks look real good with roll pans, and you can still easily get in the bed of the truck by stepping on one of the wheels.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
you know what i think....

DSC_0010-1.jpg

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
i threw my black sport in the trash when i put this on. it had a little ding in it. i took the bolts out grabbed a couple of short 2x4 and bench pressed the bed, one side at a time and slide 2 2x4s under either side. easy