Truck bed liner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I'm looking to spray my truck bed, front and back bumpers, rockers and pocket style flares with a truck bed liner, I'll probably order one over the Internet and do it myself. I don't really no what I'm doing so any advise would b great like what I should do for prep or anything I should put on? Brands to go for. It's a 07 quad cab, it does have some rust along the edges and on back bumper. Front bumper is black plastic.
Thanks Kyle.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
DYI kits can be nice (I did the entire inside of my previous jeep), but honestly, just pay to get anything external done. I would suggest Line X, this is by far the best looking and most durable spray on liners. It can be color matched, and they can use the UV additive for external parts.

It is very difficult to make a DIY kit look half as nice as Line X. I suggest you find an installer, and stop by and look at the quality of the product.

You can make the process cheaper if you bring the parts/truck already prepped. This is basically remove he shine off of any part you want sprayed (use a red Brillo pad, or rough sand paper).

OP
OP
K

Kylet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id rather try doing it myself first, I was quoted by a linex person and it was around $2500 lol if I do it I could probably do it less than $1000 and I've seen a couple people do it and they said it wasn't that hard

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
$2500?!?!?! Find another installer. Was that turn-key? You could likely cut that in less than half of you removed the parts yourself and took them in individually to be sprayed. Don't pay shop rate for that type of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Id rather try doing it myself first, I was quoted by a linex person and it was around $2500 lol if I do it I could probably do it less than $1000 and I've seen a couple people do it and they said it wasn't that hard

It isn't that it is hard to do, (its actually easy) its the quality of the finish. If you are going to DIY it, it comes out WAY better if you spray it, instead of roll it on. That stuff sticks to EVERYTHING, so be sure to cover everything you do not want painted (all bolt holes) watch out for overspary. I wore gloves and long sleeves. Another trick is to apply a good amount of lotion all over you body before you get dressed, it actually helps prevent it from sticking to your skin.

Do at least 3 coats (don't wait too long for the next coat follow the instrucions), and after the recommended time spray the UV coats.

They sell undercoat spray guns, some are even fully electric (not requiring pneumatic setup). Be sure to MIX MIX MIX the stuff (you can even take it to homedepot and ask them to mix the fresh can) so you get a nice even coat of the rubber floaty stuff.

It took me 1 gallon to do the inside tub of a jeep wrangler with 3 full coats (short wheelbase jeep). I did all the way up the firewall, the back swing gate, and the tub lip (where the hard top sits on).

I would expect 2 gallons for a bed especially if you have a long bed (to do 3 full coats, and the bed lip), and the left over can be used for other stuff.

DO NOT FORGET THE UV COAT STUFF (if the brand you go with has it already, that is a plus), as the color fads within a year in the sun.

Here are some pictures of when I did mine. I rolled it on as I was living in an apartment and did it on the street over a weekend.

c350.jpg
28f7.jpg
d409.jpg
1528.jpg

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Great post!

..Another trick is to apply a good amount of lotion all over you body before you get dressed, it actually helps prevent it from sticking to your skin.

But, try explaining that to your wife if she walks in while you are doing this... Lol

2016 Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 Crew Cab SB SRW Delmonico Red Pearl Coat.
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9L (Kept at our place in Mexico)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 2wd Quad Cab SB SRW Silver (Sold)

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But, try explaining that to your wife if she walks in while you are doing this... Lol

Look at her dead in the eyes, and simply respond with "I'm going in..."

Google "herculiner hootus" for a good laugh, and why I did the lotion thingie and gloves.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Look at her dead in the eyes, and simply respond with "I'm going in..."

Google "herculiner hootus" for a good laugh, and why I did the lotion thingie and gloves.

Just blew my coffee out my nose! Seriously, that **** hurt!

Reactions: JPT

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Lol this post is great!

But on a serious note my truck bed only cost $450 to have rhino lined so that line x quote is ridiculous lol

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think the quote must have been for R&R of pocket flares, numbers, etc in addition to the application of the liner.

OP
OP
K

Kylet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's was a rough estimate from the old "Winnipeg linex" dealer changed him name to rbx from what I told him on the phone what I wanted to do. I've been looking the last week and I think I'm gonna try u-pol raptor liner. Anyone ever used it?