trying my hand at plasti-dipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
im going to try my hand at plasti-dipping. im thinking of dipping my wheels, emblems, grill, and possibly my bumpers. ive never done plasti-dipping before so i was hoping you guys could give me some advice. where is the best place to buy my materials, the best conditions to do the process in, what really works/what doesnt, etc. id like to know something instead of blindly stumbling through this. also what is the best thing to use to put emblems back on after ive dipped them? and can i put a clear coat over everything i dip or is that a bad idea?

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its pretty user friendly...just tape it off and make sure you score it with a razor blade before you pull the tape. Conditions? Warm, its not hard. Don't do thick coats but don't do super light coats either. Its pretty fool proof and lays down pretty well.

rennaissanceman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just dipped my grill and it was really easy waited 15 minutes or so between coats and about 4 coats total. IMO I like the plain black with no clear coat.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
From what I remember, clear coat is a bad idea on plasti dip, as it messes something up. I'll let someone else who actually made the statement to start with tell you more.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
From what I remember, clear coat is a bad idea on plasti dip, as it messes something up. I'll let someone else who actually made the statement to start with tell you more.

I think it just bubbles up and reacts with the plasti dip. At least that's what I've heard. I think plasti dip has some special clear out made just for it. Haven't seen it in stores, but then again I haven't really looked for it.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
They have a protective coating, but don't know if it'll make it shiny. And yes. The clear reacts with it, and makes it a pita to get off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jaked1500

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
alright my other concern is that since my second job is at a carwash, i wash my truck at least once to twice a month. will this have any effect? and whats the best product for putting emblems back on?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I have washed my truck plenty of times in the touchless automatics, and also with power washer. My PD is still holding strong from last April. 3m double side tape or some emblem adhesive, it can be found at the auto parts store. that is how my grill badge is on

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
plasti dip is so easy

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
they have a glossifier that makes it shiny, I havent seen it in stores, but I have online. I still need to try this stuff...