Weight of New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Notransitory128

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hey guys,

New to the forum and new to the Ram world. I have an 02 with the 5.9 and was wondering if 14 lbs in tire weight difference will have a big affect on the truck. I have 35's that weight 67 lbs and I want mud grapplers and they weight 81 lbs. just wanted to see what your experiences were. Thanks

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That is a huge difference. You will see your mileage drop more.

We will definately need pics to decide...

And WELCOME

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a x 7 mathematical theory rule for rotational mass and is as follows, 14 extra lbs per so 14x7=98. 98x4=392. So your truck will feel like your hauling 392lbs extra or two extra lovely chunky lady friends

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^ That's interesting Scott. I've never heard of it, but I didn't get to far into engineering either.

I don't see how it can be a constant factor though, adding 100# of rotational mass at 1' vs 100' is way different isn't it?

The physics behind it aside, you'll notice going over to heavier tires for sure. Your steering will get heavier, your brakes won't work as well and it'll try harder to pull up hills etc. It's the price you pay for vanity.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There is a x 7 mathematical theory rule for rotational mass and is as follows, 14 extra lbs per so 14x7=98. 98x4=392. So your truck will feel like your hauling 392lbs extra or two extra lovely chunky lady friends

This is all you really need to know.

Unless you actually use the tires for a practical purpose, just stick with AT/s.

OP
OP
N

Notransitory128

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Yeah I have A/T's now and really need to get some M/T's before duck season starts. The picture says it all, was going to a duck blind and had to get that dirty to get there, lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
N

Notransitory128

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Oh and here's a pic of the truck...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 41

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
That much rotational mass will cause your suspension and brakes fits. If you really plan on using those tires you will need upgraded brakes and heavy duty shock absorbers.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ That's interesting Scott. I've never heard of it, but I didn't get to far into engineering either.

I don't see how it can be a constant factor though, adding 100# of rotational mass at 1' vs 100' is way different isn't it?

The physics behind it aside, you'll notice going over to heavier tires for sure. Your steering will get heavier, your brakes won't work as well and it'll try harder to pull up hills etc. It's the price you pay for vanity.

I don't speak of this theory to be super technical or accurate but to give you a visual or a feeling of what it would feel like by adding that weight to each corner of your vehicle through rotational mass. I know when I carry several passengers in my truck I can certainly feel the difference in power verses me driving alone, this just gives you an idea. I don't remember exactly where I heard of this theory but it's something I heard of many times in the past and I've seen others use it as a general rule of thumb.

OP
OP
N

Notransitory128

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Yeah there is always a difference when adding bigger tires, but what about the tranny? How bad or not so bad is that affected? I know the ideal thing would to be re-gear with 4.56 but I have 3.92 which I think is better than 3.73 but there are the stockers. Also, is the rotational mass theory take the diameter into affect too or just the mass? Or is it both in one formula? It's a great sounding theory but what does it include I guess.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok here is where the biggest issue will be at. It is called unslung weight. Unslung weight is the mass of everything that is controlled by the shock absorber and the spring (torsion bar). All vehicles are designed to have a certain amount of unslung weight. The parts that comprise the unslung weight are: tires, wheels, spindles, brake components, a-arms (or on some vehicles the I-beam suspension), and on 4wd vehicles the whole of the front drive unit is unslung. Adding or even subtracting weight to the unslung weight can and will have detrimental effects including: premature wear of suspension components, damage to frame where unslung components are attached, and unusual and possibly an impossibility to drive the vehicle.

I would look into what I posted earlier first before installing any tire with a greatly increased weight over stock.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
dont know how accurate this is but I weighed the 20" alloys with the 275/60's that came on my 2013 ram and they came in about 75 lbs each...

Last edited:

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok here is where the biggest issue will be at. It is called unslung weight. Unslung weight is the mass of everything that is controlled by the shock absorber and the spring (torsion bar). All vehicles are designed to have a certain amount of unslung weight. The parts that comprise the unslung weight are: tires, wheels, spindles, brake components, a-arms (or on some vehicles the I-beam suspension), and on 4wd vehicles the whole of the front drive unit is unslung. Adding or even subtracting weight to the unslung weight can and will have detrimental effects including: premature wear of suspension components, damage to frame where unslung components are attached, and unusual and possibly an impossibility to drive the vehicle.

I would look into what I posted earlier first before installing any tire with a greatly increased weight over stock.

Do your basically saying that anybody installing a different rim/tire package... Or even so much as driving with worn tires (as the weight is now different) is damaging there vehicle.

Hmmmmm........

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
With that style of thinking, any changes in height (lifting/lowering/hauling/towing) other than stock height and weight will damage your vehicle. No matter what you do to your vehicle you're going to wear something out. Just driving it wears parts out. So unless you want to just sit and stare at your truck than make it into the truck you want. Parts wear out regardless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
N

Notransitory128

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
With that style of thinking, any changes in height (lifting/lowering/hauling/towing) other than stock height and weight will damage your vehicle. No matter what you do to your vehicle you're going to wear something out. Just driving it wears parts out. So unless you want to just sit and stare at your truck than make it into the truck you want. Parts wear out regardless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Couldn't have said it better myself!:cheers: