Well... I did the Unthinkable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
(S.M.R) 101

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What did you use? I am really wanting to try this Plasti-Dip everyone is talking about.

It's Plasti-Dip....and if you don't like it with your chrome then pull it off.. That's also why I did the Plasti because I have never been a fan of black rims so if I didn't like it I would not be stuck with Powdercoated rims that I didn't like.

OP
OP
(S.M.R) 101

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks Matt......Dude you have the best Avitar ever hahaha love it

OP
OP
(S.M.R) 101

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks Ryne...I like the way it looks.....never thought I would.

OP
OP
(S.M.R) 101

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
One more....My favorite pic is this one

IMG_0708.jpg

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now I want to know what my wheels would look like flat black.hmm....

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
Ok I dont want to fill your thread up with stupid questions but your truck looks so good I just gotta make sure I get all the info here lol
1)Did you paint over the weights or remove them? would reaplying the weights peel the finish?
2)How is it cleaning the wheels with it? Can you not use a kind of wheel cleaner?
3)About how long did the whole job take you?

Do you have any pics of the wheels close up?

OP
OP
(S.M.R) 101

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
1) I have the weights on the inside of the tires... if you do have them on the outside I have seen people spray over the weights...but if you ever to a balance and rotate and they have to take your weights off more than likley they will peel alot more than just the weights..I would take your truck in and have them weight on the inside...

2) I just did my rims monday and today I was using a power washer on them and not so much as a nick in the rims. if there is a lot of mud on the rims (Like mine was today) I got them wet and used my hand to rub off the mud.. I also used a sponge and it was fine. With Plasti-Dip I honestly cant see using any cleaner on the rims but if you are at a car wash and want to use the wheel cleaner it will not effect it any.
Not sure if you have ever seen something plasti-dipped but it has a bit of a rough texture to it so if you try and use something to dry them off I wouldn't recommend rubbing them I would pat them with a towl or something.

3) I started monday night but only did 2 rims and I laid down a few coats took me about 1 1/2 hours after cleaning the rims before I sprayed them. The next morning I did the other 2..So all in all I would say 4 hours but I let the tires sit for awhile for proper drying but this stuff drys pretty quick.

Just to let you know use "light and even" coats when using this stuff if you spray to much you will get little puffy patches of bubbles if you put it on to thick.. But it's super easy man and this stuff holds up amazingly well.

Hope this helps!

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
That helps alot thanks! I even had wermbang photo-shop a pic. What do you think? its growing on me every time i look at it but im not 100% on it yet

Drewblackrims.jpg

I would probably de-badge it if i go through with it.

OP
OP
(S.M.R) 101

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ohh yeah dude that looks good.. Yeah I told myself that i'd never have black rims cuz I just did not like the way they looked but man I have been missing out lol I love mine.. Yeah I would debadge I got as far as taking the RAM off both doors and ran out of time didn't get to the Hemi badge or the badges on the tailgate. My R/T Hood stripes will be going on in a few days so i'm going to take the Hemi badges off here in a few days.

I say go for it man I think you would really like it....Believe me pictures just don't do justice. When you are looking at them on your truck you will really like them.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I want to do this but everytime I think about trying it, the thought of having it start peeling and looking bad just makes me cringe.

Did you take the wheel off to do it or did you just do them on the truck?

OP
OP
(S.M.R) 101

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I took the wheels off had it on jack stands. well if you are worried about it peeling think of this..I did my entire inside of my bed in this stuff and as of a few weeks ago I have been loading and unloading my Can-Am 4wheeler and their are 3 small tears in it.. Like I said I just did it a few days ago and I power washed the **** out of them today and it held up perfect.. This stuff is pretty tough man...I'm not saying it's some miracle spray but it holds it's own.

I'd buy 1 can and test it out on something so you can get an idea of how it works man.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Dude that looks sweet. I am torn myself to go with a black rim or chrome. I could not make up my mind when I bought my lift so I stuck with the stock wheels until I can make up my mind.

dth418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks real good, now im thinking about doing it!!! Im getting new tires next week and am thinking about doing the rims at the same time. But I have an 04 with the 20" flower power wheels so i dont know how it would look

OP
OP
(S.M.R) 101

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thnaks. Yeah there are a few people with the FP wheels that have done it they look good too.

dth418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow tht doesnt even look like the same rim, I bet that would look good with all black against my silver truck

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Post up in the photoshop sections and I can paint them for you to see how it looks