What to do with old tailgate cap holes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the previous owner of my truck had the full box including the top of the tailgate linexed. There threaded holes in along the top of the tailgate where the factory plastic cap would have been. So because the linex is there I can't put a new plastic cap on. I've been thinking of a way to make it look better since I got the truck. I am wondering if I locktite bolts in the holes and painted them black if it would look better. How do you guys think that would look? Any other ideas?

Here's what the factory plastic cap would have been before, you can see the holes across the front of it where it bolts on
photo_zps8a064785.jpg

Here's what mine looks like
photo2_zpse310dac9.jpg
photo1_zps35703859.jpg

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess my idea would look sort of like this

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 456

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I had them filled in when I shaved the tailgate handle, which I understand isn't what everyone would do. My suggestion would be to get some christmas tree plugs, paint the tops the mineral grey then just pop them into the holes.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Hmmm maybe get some setscrews and install them into the holes then fill the setscrews with some color matched epoxy???

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most hardware stores sell nut covers (LOL!) that you slide over the bolt, tighten the bolt, then snap shut over the head of the bolt.

I'd just get a thing of the nail polish style touch up paint and paint those nutserts to match the body.

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I guess any of those idea could work

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Why wouldn't a tailgate cap work even with the bedliner? It may still fit over the liner. It can't be that thick, huh? Even if it is a little too thick, maybe some slight trimming of the cap will let it fit.

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the liner is about 1/8" thick, I'm assuming there's got to be holes on the inside for that to screw on? I'm not 100% sure as it was gone when I got the truck, but if there are holes on the inside they're covered up good

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My other issue is i probably wont get my truxedo closed with the cap sitting on top of the liner

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I couldn't get my tailgate cap to fit over the RhinoLining after it was intalled If you want to keep the tailgate cap, then you have to have the liner sprayed to stop at the inner edge of the tailgate, it's can't wrap over the top like his is and mine was.

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I couldn't get my tailgate cap to fit over the RhinoLining after it was intalled If you want to keep the tailgate cap, then you have to have the liner sprayed to stop at the inner edge of the tailgate, it's can't wrap over the top like his is and mine was.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, cause I have to push down on the tonneau pretty firm now to get it to click

zoomin0074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck came with a A.R.E. shell/cap and the tailgate cap was removed, they put some plastic plugs in there but I wish I had the tailgate cap on there.