Wheel overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coleparrott3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
So here's the deal,
I am from Alaska and drive a 2006 dodge 1500 SLT. The roads are not big enough up here for 2 cars too fit so I had too pull of too the side and got my passenger side wheels stuck. Both of them. It was icy so I tried putting it in 4 low and didn't make any progress. The truck didn't want too shift back into 4 high and it took multiple times of shifting from neautral too drive too park too get it back. I drove home completely fine and I went too get out of the truck and the snow from the wheel was steaming because something on the weel was insanely hot. I have no clue what too do, the dangers, or what it could even be. Could someone help?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wheels will generate some heat from the brakes. It is possible you have a stuck caliper

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ +1, stuck caliper was my initial thought when I read the thread title

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, a stuck caliper or a binding wheel bearing, both not good!
Jack the affected side up and rock the wheel back and forth then turn the wheel and listen for grinding noise from the wheel bearing. If there is some play or a grinding noise is to hear then your bearing is gone.

Turn the wheel and check if the brake is engaged or the wheel turns free, if the wheel is braking then your caliper pistons are stuck.
Pull the calipers, take them apart and clean everything with a wire brush and/or sanding paper. Grease where necessary and reassemble.

Chris