Wheel questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hakhazar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a complete newb as far as wheels & suspension stuff is concerned, and I'm running into questions about replacing the wheels.

I have a 2004 1500 4x4 ST. I've never been in love with the wheel appearance, and now that I'm having leaking issues because of some corrosion around the rim I figured that was a good excuse for some wheels I like better. I've found that the original wheels could be either 17x7 or 17x8j (the original tires and the current ones are 245/70R17 instead of 265/17, so I'm guessing 17x7 on mine), with +24.4mm offset and backspace of either 5" or 5.5". Here's the problem - most of the places online I've found wheels that I like don't list the backspace, and some don't list either backspace or offset. I also haven't found any 17x7 wheels, just 17x8 and 17x9.

I don't want to do anything weird to the suspension geometry, or end up with the tires sticking out too far. If I go for 17x8 wheels, what should the offset and backspacing be? How about for 17x9? Will 245/70R17 tires even work correctly on wheels 2" wider than the original?

Thank you!
HK

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First you need to know what the correct bolt pattern is. Measure yours, since you have found two different sizes.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sorry I read bolt pattern when you wrote back spacing[emoji5]
I confused myself when I thought you were[emoji12].

OP
OP
H

Hakhazar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah, I understand. It's that sort of day. :whymewhyme:

OP
OP
H

Hakhazar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a complete newb as far as wheels & suspension stuff is concerned, and I'm running into questions about replacing the wheels.

I have a 2004 1500 4x4 ST. I've never been in love with the wheel appearance, and now that I'm having leaking issues because of some corrosion around the rim I figured that was a good excuse for some wheels I like better. I've found that the original wheels could be either 17x7 or 17x8j (the original tires and the current ones are 245/70R17 instead of 265/17, so I'm guessing 17x7 on mine), with +24.4mm offset and backspace of either 5" or 5.5". Here's the problem - most of the places online I've found wheels that I like don't list the backspace, and some don't list either backspace or offset. I also haven't found any 17x7 wheels, just 17x8 and 17x9.

I don't want to do anything weird to the suspension geometry, or end up with the tires sticking out too far. If I go for 17x8 wheels, what should the offset and backspacing be? How about for 17x9? Will 245/70R17 tires even work correctly on wheels 2" wider than the original?

Thank you!
HK

So, going out and actually measuring the (stock!) wheels that are on my truck, they appear to be 17x9, not x7 or x8. Color me quite confused - now I don't know what the actual offset and backspacing is on these.