Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Exterior

Exterior

Wind shuttering noise on top of front doors-2008 ram.

This is a discussion on Wind shuttering noise on top of front doors-2008 ram. within the Exterior forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
Just wondering if there's a fix for this. A couple of years ago I resorted to adjusting the striker bolts ...

Like Tree5Likes

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2008
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default Wind shuttering noise on top of front doors-2008 ram.
Just wondering if there's a fix for this. A couple of years ago I resorted to adjusting the striker bolts inward a little to th point of almost making it to where you had to slam the doors fairly hard in order for them to latch which, fixed a lot of it but, on really windy days, it still feels like the damn wind is tryin' to rip the doors off.

Any suggestions?

Although my girl is old, by eight years, she's only got barely over 60 grand on the clock. I would like to think I still had quite a few miles to go before it's time to do a bushing job on the hinges. Besides, I have next to no play movement at all in the hinges.

I guess I could try threading that styrofoam caulk strip stuff in the hollow door gasket but the last time I tried that a long time ago on a different vehicle, it made the gaskets so stiff that I had readjust the strikers outward just so the doors would latch. Come to think of it, I think it even made more leaks because it took away from the gaskets pliability to conform to the door opening.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
corneileous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2007
I cant help you but my 07 with 78K does the same thing so I would love to hear a fix also.
Anyone?
corneileous likes this.
Hardcore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmmm. I guess not.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Check to make sure your door seal isn't folded over, torn, flattened or separating from the body.

This is a rubber part and it will eventually fail. My 2007 had a similar problem and the only fix was to replace it.

MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 ram 3500
Engine: V10
how do you know it's not just the mirror?
Rustycowl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2007
I ran about 200 miles on NJ highways last night. The "Polar Vortex" wind was fierce. My problem is definitely the seal in the upper frame of the door. I found myself grabbing the upper part of the window frame and pulling it in by hand to stop the noise. As long as I was pulling in with a good amount of force it sealed good. Alas there is only so long you can do that . I started thinking maybe a locksmith (or thief) had used one of those body wedges in the upper frame of the door at some point in time to get into the truck. Maybe that tweaked the door frame a little. I have been thinking to put a block of wood in between the door and the jam and push in on the top and maybe I can tweak it back just enough to make a good seal. I just may try it as soon as the freak cold lightens up.
Hardcore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Check to make sure your door seal isn't folded over, torn, flattened or separating from the body.

This is a rubber part and it will eventually fail. My 2007 had a similar problem and the only fix was to replace it.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to check that out this weekend.

If my door gaskets are still in good shape, I may have to run to the hardware store and see if they have something smaller to stuff in the weatherstripping. That stuff I mentioned in my opening post wasn't very much smaller than the hollow cavity in the weatherstripping on that other vehicle I had and needless to say, it was a bitch gettin' it in there. lol.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Wind shuttering noise on top of front doors-2008 ram.
Originally Posted by Rustycowl69 View Post
how do you know it's not just the mirror?

Well, I've had air leaks from side view mirrors before, a 2004 Dakota to be exact but, you can definitely tell that the top of the door is shuttering in and out of the body.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Hardcore1 View Post
I ran about 200 miles on NJ highways last night. The "Polar Vortex" wind was fierce. My problem is definitely the seal in the upper frame of the door. I found myself grabbing the upper part of the window frame and pulling it in by hand to stop the noise. As long as I was pulling in with a good amount of force it sealed good. Alas there is only so long you can do that . I started thinking maybe a locksmith (or thief) had used one of those body wedges in the upper frame of the door at some point in time to get into the truck. Maybe that tweaked the door frame a little. I have been thinking to put a block of wood in between the door and the jam and push in on the top and maybe I can tweak it back just enough to make a good seal. I just may try it as soon as the freak cold lightens up.

I read on another forum where someone said they resorted to bending the top of the door frame inward that apparently worked. Supposedly while sitting in the seat sideways, they put their feet on the armrest and pulled the top of the door frames towards them. I'd really rather save that as a last resort because I'm afraid if you accidentally bend them too far, you may fix those leaks but you'll create new leaks somewhere else...

Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Foam strip tape will work. The stuff they truck topper shops use to seal between the truck bed rail and the bottom rail of the topper is used by folks to sort of build back old door seals.

So do you really think the door frame is bent? Does your door latch properly?

MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote