Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Interior

Interior

4th Gen seats in a 3rd Gen

This is a discussion on 4th Gen seats in a 3rd Gen within the Interior forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
I know it has been done I'm curious if anyone on the forum has done it I'm looking at a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Greg

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Default 4th Gen seats in a 3rd Gen
I know it has been done I'm curious if anyone on the forum has done it I'm looking at a set of heated and cooled seats wondering how I could get all that to hook up in my truck I already have the heated seats. Also curious I see these seats have airbags wondering if that would be an issue? Thanks

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

2007 Dodge Ram Sport: 3' Zone Bl, 2.5" Procomp Lift Struts and Rear Shocks, 35" Nitto Mud Grappler, 20" XD Monsters, NFAB Nerf Bars, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, Diablo Tuner, Volant CAI, Flowmaster 40, SRT10 Pillar, Aeroforce Gauge, Pioneer 4100 Double Din, Alpine Door Speakers, Wheel Well Liners, Led Dome, Led Reverse, Led Tag, Recon Smoked Tails, 5% Tint 35% Tint Front Windsheild, Tow mirrors, Weathertechs, 4.56 motives
HemiSport07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Engine: SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
As long as the wiring and the connectors are the same thee should be no issues. I would track down the air bag wiring though if the connectors are different, and completely remove them for safety. They will go off if not handled properly.
MegaMouseGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Yeah there are no side curtain airbags in 3rd gens, so there is nothing to wire to with the new ones.

But, I dont think there are airbags in the seats themselves. I believe they are in the B pillars along the roofline under the headliner and behind the pillar. I think they just put the SRS airbag insignia on the seats so you see it as you're getting in. But I'm not positive of that, thats just the way most every manufacturer does it.
BigSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Unless they added side curtains in 07 that is.

Either way, if you are going to do anything to an airbag system, disconnect the battery and wait 3 minutes. You dont want to set any DTC's in the airbag system or the light will come on and stay on until someone with an SRS capable scantool resets it.
BigSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Engine: SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I think the first year they offered side airbags was 2008 or 09 but not sure on that, and only in the best trim levels.
MegaMouseGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yea if that's the case maybe I can have an upholstery shop take the covers off and disable them I'm just confused on the ventalated seats I would probably have to run wires to them I just know how sensitive the computer systems are on the 07 and up and that makes me hate wiring things on my truck. Does anyone know is there any market for the sport leather seats in my 07?

2007 Dodge Ram Sport: 3' Zone Bl, 2.5" Procomp Lift Struts and Rear Shocks, 35" Nitto Mud Grappler, 20" XD Monsters, NFAB Nerf Bars, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, Diablo Tuner, Volant CAI, Flowmaster 40, SRT10 Pillar, Aeroforce Gauge, Pioneer 4100 Double Din, Alpine Door Speakers, Wheel Well Liners, Led Dome, Led Reverse, Led Tag, Recon Smoked Tails, 5% Tint 35% Tint Front Windsheild, Tow mirrors, Weathertechs, 4.56 motives
Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: Cummins 5.9
The Wiring is completely different , power is easy but the heating and cooling go through a module. If you figure them out please post it Im in the same dilema.
Dekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012 Express CC
Engine: 5.7
I'm somewhat in the same boat as you with my 05. I picked up a set of heated/power leathers out of an 02 at the junkyard. my truck being a base model has nothing for it to be plug and play. the heated seat module is built into the bottom of the seat and when I removed the seats from the organ donor, I snipped the harness under the seat so I had a pigtail with the connector and I also removed both seat heat switches with pigtailed harnesses as well. I went on all data and got a pin out of that plug, heat switches and a schematic of the heated seat module itself. power seats themselves are power and ground, all the heated seat switches are wired directly to the module itself so it was a process of reconnecting the two together. I'm not sure on the 4th gen seats but if its the same as the 3rd gens, it wont be too bad of an install to reconnect everything. The seat belt light on the cluster is tied into the drivers buckle attached to the seat so you'll need to make sure you either transfer the buckle and remove the harness from the old seat or connect the buckle from the new seat to your existing seat harness on the floor. if the seats you're putting in have air bags in them, there's no need to spend the time or money to have them removed. I disable steering wheel air bags all the time for the handicap with a system approved by NHTSA and I've yet to have an issue. being disconnected there's no way for them to deploy since they're self shunting. The swap is doable, you just need to take the time to figure it all out and make it work. my 05 has CanBus like your 07 and I've had no issues with the seats being in. its basically just power and grounds
moparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info I'm gonna bite the bullet and order them Friday ill post up pictures of the install which my take a while cause I work out of state

Old 10-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012 Express CC
Engine: 5.7
Originally Posted by HemiSport07 View Post
Thanks for all the info I'm gonna bite the bullet and order them Friday ill post up pictures of the install which my take a while cause I work out of state
No problem, i can get you the wiring diagrams if you need them

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
moparman is offline   Reply With Quote