AC blowing cold out of passenger side only?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

persuazion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Hey guys this is strange but I noticed today that my ac is blowing really cold air only out of the passenger side vents and semi cool air to room temp out of the driver side vents. When I have it on recirculating it will blow cold out of both but still not as cold as the passenger side. Then when I put it on outside air it goes back to feeling warmer on driver side only. It fluctuates it seems like but passenger side stays consistent. There is also a slight musty smell that I have noticed when I turn the ac on.I have a 2008 dodge ram hemi and have never added any freon before. Also the black canister that is next to the firewall is not sweating at all. If I put my hand on it, it feel slightly cool but not cold and def not sweating. I let my ac run on full blast for 15 mins and checked it, I read this should be sweating....is that correct? Can I just buy one of those kits with the guage and see it its low and I can fill it up myself or is this something I should take to the shop? Thanks.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There are multiple doors in the blower/AC plenum. The "BLEND" door in the middle is the one that allows you to change from blowing through the AC condenser or the Heater core element. Because there was an option to have separate side controls, the same door was designed for all systems.

That being said, all these doors are actuated the same through some motors, and the linkage between the motor and the plenum doors is one of the weak points in the Dodge RAM's system. My guess is that you would have to replace the "BLEND" door as one side may have just broken off not allowing you to change from blowing through the heater core to the AC condenser core. Since the "Recirculating" door opens up through the passenger side compartment, you are pulling the cold air blown on the passenger side back into the system making it feel like it is blowing colder if recirculating. However if you are pulling from the outside you are just blowing some dead warm air into a non-cooled heater core.

Here is a site that has all the information you are looking for to correct your problem:
HeaterTreater™

Replacement of these doors is an involved process but if you ain't scared of a few hundred screws (I'm exaggerating a little..) then it is an easy but time consuming task.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
P

persuazion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks for the reply. I have read about those doors that might be a problem. I hooked up a gauge to the low port and saw that it was pretty damn low on so I put maybe 75 percent of a can in there and got it to around 40 psi. It started blowing really cold on both sides. But now today I saw something dripping from under my car a couple hours after I parked it. I followed it up from the drips on the frame to a little tube coming out of the firewall. Im guessing this is where the ac drains out. I turned my ac on and looked at it and it was spewing a bunch of water out for a sec and then started a steady trickle. I felt some of it that was hitting the frame and it did feel slick feeling and had a funny smell to it. Its clear fluid with no color. I smelled the coolant to see if it was different and it does have a different smell the the coolant. How much fluid is supposed to be coming out of that tube? A few drips or a steady trickle like mine was. The scary thing is about 10 mins of it being turned off I thought I saw some white puffs coming out of that drain tube. What should I do now?

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
You are smelling Freon. Your evaporator that is inside the HVAC box is leaking. The reason it feels slick is because a small amount of A/C pag oil is mixing with the water that is draining out of the box. The entire HVAC box needs to be removed and separated to replace the evaporator. You should notice that after using the a/c a few times that the temperature difference will return. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
P

persuazion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Oh no......Im assuming that is expensive and hard to do? I might just have to wait on that if its too much money. With winter coming up I think I can hold off.....when I use the heater will it affect the evaporator at all or only when I use the ac? Also it seemed less oily when I put in on recirculate and not on outside air. Is it better to use it just on recirculate for the time being?