Best way to prevent dash crack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So Saturday I finally got my big interior work done of; heatercore/ ac evap/ blend door/ top dash pieces. Everything was bought new besides dash pieces that I got for a great price. Got my whole job done for a GREAT price too. So since it saved me ALOT of money I want to now spend some on saving this dash. What are some good ways to prevent the cracking issue? I was thinking about getting my windshield tinted, but wanted to know other ways.

Those windshield covers? A good dash protectant?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
The dash cracks because it is drying out. But know this that certain years the dash would crack no matter what you stuck on them. I use armor all myself but others may use something else. And about tinting your windshield, DO NOT DO IT, unless you are willing to pay a big fine and have the tint removed. No state allows the whole windshield to be tinted, some states allow the top 6 inches to be tinted. Before you tint your windshield please check the state tint laws.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I know its illegal for the tinting, lucky by me cops really care less about tint, its illegal to have on front windows by me but cops must always ask me where I got it done cause its a clean job. But I only thought of tinting windishield if it'll be best, if there were other ways around it I would do them.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Armor all isn't the best dash protectant, actually I don't use it anywhere on my truck. These products can speed up the drying out process. You want to use water based products which will protect against cracking.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Amor All is a terrible thing to use.

The mounting points along the windshield, put washers on those screws to help distribute the load. The largest washer you can fit in there.

Regular use of a windshield sun shade will also help.
There are many quality products available to protect interior plastics.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm actually scared to have Armor All touch my truck... anywhere lol. I hate tire shines too but nothing beats gloss black tires, so I use tire shine and de grease my tires monthly, but that's for another thread lol

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah I wish I knew about the washer thing before it got done, and I'm not sure how to take it apart and if I would mess anything up.

I'll start looking for water based products!

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NYcruiser- yea I heard/read that a lot of people like that product.

RamFLScott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a tint installer buddy showed me a tint the other day, it is 70%, meaning very little darkness, not really noticeable. It cuts the UV and heat by 40%, he does the entire windshield. About $100. But I use my sun shade almost always, and thinking about the custom fit ones for $35-$40.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Windshield shade, always. Best way to protect from sun damage is shade!

(I know that is a total "duuuuhhhhh" statement ^^^) :)

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use a Dash Mat to keep the sun off the dash. Bought mine from the dealer. Good fit and no reflection in the windshield.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Armor all isn't the best dash protectant, actually I don't use it anywhere on my truck. These products can speed up the drying out process. You want to use water based products which will protect against cracking.

I have stopped using Armor All. Using Adams exclusively.

jei3us

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I tinted my windshield 50% with uv protectant film. During the day its hardly noticeable but at night looking in from the outside it looks pretty dark where you can't see anybody inside the can. My city is pretty strict on tint I've been pulled over twice for the limo I had on my side windows but police never notice the front. if they did its just a fix it ticket here so I would just take it off but its been a year and have had no problems with the law.

brantner22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
There is a window tint that is clear but stops the heat and UV Rays. A guy around where I'm from does almost everyone's windows told me about it. It's like 90% or something. He showed me his windshield and I couldn't even tell it was on there. I'll ask him more about it and follow up on the thread. I'm going to have both my truck and my wife's car done.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I put a FAT tint strip on mine and I removed my dash top, screwed the dash frame to the firewall and put my dash cap back on. In 3 years it has yet to crack. And my girl puts her feet on the dash and everything.......I use tire shine on my dash cause its supposed to put moisture in tires so they don't dry rot so I figured it would keep my dash moisturized lol

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a window tint that is clear but stops the heat and UV Rays. A guy around where I'm from does almost everyone's windows told me about it. It's like 90% or something. He showed me his windshield and I couldn't even tell it was on there. I'll ask him more about it and follow up on the thread. I'm going to have both my truck and my wife's car done.

Heard of this and saw it and its very interesting looking. I have been using a windshield shade lately for the time being, but figuring which route to go; either tint windshield or do the clear tint as you mentioned.

You can see it on youtube, a guy holds a heat bulb up to two pieces of glass, one with the clear tint, other not to show the heat that goes throgugh both.

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
Custom sun shade. I bought mine from the dealer not long after I bought my truck. I use it every time I am not driving and after 8 years my dash still looks brand new. The dealer also has a protectant called satin select that will help keep the plastic from drying out. The sun shade is the best but you have to be **** about using it for it to really work.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sun shade - I use it every day, even if just running into the grocery store; my dash still looks brand new :-D

That happened to my 2nd gen when I had it, it was horrible lol

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
another duh but the garage helps me out immensely, and oh I thought Armour all (sp) was in fact water soluble.