Dash update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramgoat87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 1500
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum. I am a huge fan of most things Dodge. I recently purchased a 2004 dodge ram 1500 2WD for really cheap that will be my daily driver. It was an old county vehicle from Canada. So to get it to be street legal in the states according to Custom and Border Patrol I was told that I have to get a new gauge because its currently in KM's. So I have two questions. 1) I know that I can switch the gauge face out for the MPH however how do I switch the current KM's on the Odometer? That is the easy bit the next part of my question is a bit more daring. I travel a lot for work and on one of my work breaks I came across I wrecked 2011 dodge Ram 5.7 hemi at a junkyard with a intact dash assembly for $250. 2) What would I have to do the switch the 4th gen dash into my early third gen? Besides the dash assembly itself I am willingly to sink another $500-750 into updating the dash. Will my main issues be the electrical to run the different components of a newer dash and/or making sure the vents match up.... And I missing anything? Can the modern update be done for under 1k ?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It will not. The 4th gen display comes from a much more advanced CAN bus system and will not work with your PCI bus truck. So unless you intend to swap the ENTIRE 4th gen electrical system into your old truck...

OP
OP
R

Ramgoat87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 1500
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Thanks HemiLonestar,

Do you have any ideas about converting the Odometer over? And do you know if the Steering wheels are from 4th gen are swappable?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks HemiLonestar,

Do you have any ideas about converting the Odometer over? And do you know if the Steering wheels are from 4th gen are swappable?

Converting the odometer you need to check with what state you live in, they will most likely require/have to give you some form of cert from km to mph. I don't know if the wheels are swappable or not, I've been wanting to know since 2009 but the wheels/airbags are too pricey (even used) just to get one and try it out lol. A few people have talked about doing it but no one has actually tried it or been successful.