Door lock help! Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My drivers side rear door will only lock manually. The power lock switch on the doors won't operate it. The key fob won't operate it. I assume it just has to be a bad switch. Does anyone know? Is the switch hard to get to? I have had the door panels off (for other reasons) and didn't see anything that look like the switch.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
QC? The switch is accessable as the panel with all the window, door, mirrors switches comes out as one piece and that is those are the switches. I had to change mine and got one at the wreckers from a durango (same). but if it's only one door i would check the selonoid thingy that moves the rod and for that the panel would have to come out.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm thinking that if the key fob or any other switches won't lock/unlock then it's something more that a bad switch. My guess would be the lock actuator itself

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks could not think of a proper name.LOL...Solenoid Thingy....Long Day.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it is a QC. And just one door. The other three operate like they are supposed to. I apologize. I said switch but meant the actuator that physically moves the lock up and down. I have taken the door panel off, that's fairly simple. But it must be behind the plastic liner behind the panel. Really didn't want to tear that off.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should be able to pull it away (plastic) from the non drying goup bead that surrounds the door. as I recall it is not a big deal. Worst case use an Olfa Knife and re-Tape afterwards. Good Luck.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody replaced one of these? I'd like to know what I am getting into as much as I can.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you tell if the speaker works on that door? I have the same issue with my lock but also my speaker doesn't work there either. There is a thread on here that talks about checking the wires that come out of the truck through a black boot and then into the door. pull that boot back and check to see if you have any split or broken wires, I pulled mine back and saw a broken yellow wire. Once I fix that I'll check to see if my lock works or if my speaker works.

ramfanatic

Banned
Reaction score
02blkram47 sounds like you have a pinched or broke wire in the rubber boot that goes from the door to the body this is a common problem start their and check the drivers door as well

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
^^-- I've repaired my passenger door, now my driver door has failed too... I have to believe the same thing will happen to my front doors eventually...

cfgdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
door locks failing

My Dodge 2008 has door lock problems. Just before the 60,000 km warranty wore off, the rear drivers side door quit working on the power switch on the driver's door or with the key fob. You had to manually lock and unlock it. It seemed to spread and within a week or two the doors all stopped working on the power locks. I took it into my Dodge dealer (where I bought it) and they fixed it, unfortunately it had, between my call and my appointment, gone over the 60,000 km and it was off warranty. The dealer kindly paid for 1/2 of the work, but it was still several hundred dollars. They replaced the wiring in the first door that quit (drivers side rear), replaced the latch on the passenger side rear and replaced the switch box on the drivers door. I have gone another 50,000 km and it is doing it again, the driver's side rear door won't work on the power switch or key fob and has to be manually locked and unlocked. It has been more than a year so there is no warranty on the work. It is getting to be pretty frustrating - is it going to fail every 50 - 60 thousand km? I was hoping to keep this truck for a long time, but maybe even trucks are "throw away" in this day and age. My son drives a 15 year old Dodge with over 400,000 km on it and I was hoping mine might last like that too.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
This problem sounds like cheap wiring, lock-unlock motors, and switches. Those of you with this might look into getting better wiring, better lock-unlock motors, and better switches. They are out there but will cost an arm and a leg maybe. But if it does a fix that lasts more than 50-60k miles then it is worth it.