Driver side window switch short?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

First-truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
03 Ram 1500 2wd. When I bought the truck the driver side window switch worked, but the window lock was sending a "lock" signal to all the doors. All windows work from driver switch, but not door switches. I replaced the driver switch, everything worked as it should for a couple weeks, then the same thing happened again. Is this a common fault or something?

wknoxfarms

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had issues with the solder breaking on the back of the board and the switches not working or locking others, could be something similar.

jonesd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every Dodge since the 80s has wires that break in the door hinge after 8-10 years. At least in colder climates I am familiar with.

As is to be expected I have repaired 4 wires in my 06 Stratus in the last year, and the 04 ram window control has a broken wire in the door I have not fixed yet.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Every Dodge since the 80s has wires that break in the door hinge after 8-10 years. At least in colder climates I am familiar with.

As is to be expected I have repaired 4 wires in my 06 Stratus in the last year, and the 04 ram window control has a broken wire in the door I have not fixed yet.

This is a problem that almost every vehicle with power functions has. Best fix is to get a new door harness, that will last around 3 to 5 years depending upon how often you use the doors (yeah right they get used constantly). A temporary fix is to find the break and then solder it or use a but splice to fix it. None of the fixes are completely permanent, but the best one is the new harness. Only true way to do an almost permanent fix is to rewire the complete harness with some very high grade flexible wire, the kind that RC racers use on their batteries. 12 gauge, silicon covered, multi stranded. Here is a link to some: Deans Ultra Wire 12 Gauge - 2' each (Red/Black) [WSD1400] | Electric Accessories - A Main Hobbies

That wire is expensive as all get out but it will last a very long time compared to the cheap crap the factories use to wire the trucks with.

OP
OP
F

First-truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
That's a bit overkill. I will get out my test light later today and see what's up. Does anybody know where to get a wiring diagram for the driver root at?