HELP, LAMP OUT warning driving me nuts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scribbleheli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 2500
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2003 Ram 2500 Hemi 4x4.

My lamp out warning is driving me bonkers.

It will blink on, (and I mean blink so fast I'm not even 100% sure that's the warning coming on, but my girlfriend assures me it says "lamp out") and make the warning chime noise, Then turn off.

its very inconsistent, It'll happen once, then be quite for 10 min, then 3 times in 30 seconds. Then maybe be quite for a week or too. Then a few dozen chimes in a 30 min period with absolutely no regularity.

Can someone tell me what "lamps" are in this circuit to be checked. All my lights work except for a broken passenger side fog lamp.
Which has been left unplugged. Is that my issue? Or is it something else?

B17E1943

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '02 1500 lamp-out light came on a few months ago, but all the lamps were working fine.

So, rather than drive myself nuts, or follow some internet things I read about, I replaced the tail-light, brake, and high tail-light lamps - pretty cheap, and since I had recently bought the truck used, from the original owner, I figured it was a good preventative measure.

After removing them, I examined the old bulbs and discovered that a couple of them looked "dark" and kind of burnt looking.

The only thing I can figure is that when the lamps start getting weak, whatever sensor "senses" that a lamp is bad, senses that it is GOING bad. :think:

I am FAR from an electronics expert; and this is the first Chrysler product I have ever owned, not to mention the newest vehicle I have ever owned, so I don't know much about them.

So, this is my wild-ass guess for your problem.

Good luck. :)

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi B17E1943,

The oxidation can create an increase in resistance that can cause a false "lamp out condition as can a corroded socket. The lights will still work but they are far enough out of electrical specs that they trigger a warning.

Have a great day,

preachp

Masimus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had this problem and it was the tail light board. I had to solder a few wires on my tail light wiring and replace the board that all the lights plug into, and it fixed everything. Apparently it's a common issue on these trucks.

KPietriyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had 2 failures of the tail light board, both times the ground became intermittent, then failed totally. Think new ones were about $25. The "Lamp Out" indicator would come on, then go off, then come on again, etc. at random intervals. Moisture got into the board enclosure, and corroded the ground enough to cause the light to come on, but the bulb still worked. If they weren't molded units, I would've put conformal coating on the board to stop it from happening again.

NRWhiteKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've had my 03 1500 QC for almost a month. My "lamp out" warning did that the first good rain we had after I purchased it. First time it did it I thought it was the brake switch at the pedal as it would only do it when I pressed the brake pedal and would quit when I let off. However, it did that fast ding like you described a few time after and I got to researching here. I did find that it could be a bulb, even though all of mine were working, one or more of the boards, or even the switch. So I bought some bulbs and the boards for the tail lights as well. That next weekend after I got those I replaced them, but not the switch. Switch was inexpensive and I still have it if necessary. When replacing the boards I found the that the drivers side had a bulb that was dark looking. When I pulled it from the socket I found that one of the filament leads on the bulb was also burnt. I believe this was the cause. Since replacing those boards and bulbs, it's not really rained much, but I did wash the truck once and I had no issues with the warning light. As has been mentioned, the boards are relatively inexpensive and along with the bulbs is, overall, and easy and low cost repair.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I would look at the rear bulbs and sockets. Corrosion is common and they will cause intermittent codes.

Peekaboo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I also had the same problem on my '03 1500 RAM: "Lamp Out" blinking with chime when all my lamps were ok. :word: I checked evry rear bulb, and finally found a little piece of corrosion at the bottom of the right backlight bulb. I replaced the bulb, and nox it's ok. So, the cause of that damned warning might be very light, without any trouble in the lights working. Hope it helps.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I went to LED tail lights off ebay because of failed circuit boards in the stock housings. No problems with them in 6 years now.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I went to LED tail lights off ebay because of failed circuit boards in the stock housings. No problems with them in 6 years now.

I thought about this but I am just not a fan of any I've seen.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I thought about this but I am just not a fan of any I've seen.

Yeah, I know what you mean. With a red truck, I wanted to keep the tail lights red, not smoked or blacked out. The ones I found look very similar to what the newer factory LED tail lights look like now. Nothing overly fancy and they blend in well with the truck.

These are very similar to what I have. Very bright and have worked great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Red-Cl...mps-/201434718305?hash=item2ee671e061&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

DarkestofKin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to revive an old thread but didn't want to start a new one. I have replaced the board that all the lights plug in to on the driver side and replaced the bulbs but the problem still continues. It will work "chime" free for about a couple of weeks but then go back to dinging. Does it when I apply the brakes and when I am cruising on the freeway, it is really random. I have thought about buying some aftermarket lighting but hear that can be hit or miss. Anyone find a permanent solution or is this just something I have to live with?

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have eBay led taillights and third brake light and I get the random "lamp out" light plus beep sound. When it rains I get it a lot, but periodically even when it's nice out.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Mine did this a while back, maybe a year ago. I changed the bulbs and it was fine until last week, it started again. Mine only does it when I'm on the highway but it can drive me insane at times. Did it for 2 days and now it's stopped again(for now).

B17E1943

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have discovered that the bulbs become loose in their sockets and start the damn chiming.

The Lamp Out light doesn't bother me, but the chiming drives me NUTS.

So, a while back I started using a small knife to bend the contact wires up and out into a mild V shape - GENTLY, so as not to break the wire.

This works for a few months, then I have to do it again. :rolleyes:

THIS time, I did the same and also smeared some dielectric grease over the contact wires and the end of the bulb.

We'll see how it works THIS time.

Be sure to inspect the bulbs for any dark-looking/burnt areas on the bulbs - it is either dying or will die soon. Replace it.

****-poor design in my opinion. :flipthebird:

04yfz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
These are a constant issue on my 03, 99% of the time it's one of the brake light bulbs that go bad. Does anyone have a way to disable the whole system?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Used dialectric grease many years ago and havent had a issue since. Good luck..

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Mine has been dinging when I drive on a bumpy road. I have so many aftermarket led lights and my hid projectors I don't even know where to start to look for bad bulbs...