Help Needed-Dash Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I got Christmas out of the way, so I wanted to get started on replacing all the HVAC doors and the heater & evaporator cores while I was in there. I can't get the dash out, though. I've watched videos and did searches. I've either missed something or else there's something odd about my truck.

So, if I understood the process, it was basically drop the steering column, unhook harnesses, remove dash speaker trim and some screws while I'm there, remove a brace from dash frame to plenum and remove approximately eight screws from the sides.

IMG_0648_zpsoxq3y6ig.jpg

IMG_0649_zpsanb8yf2p.jpg

IMG_0651_zpskho5laec.jpg

The problem is, I can't get it out. I even removed almost everything else thinking either I missed something or people glossed over details in vids/writeups.

It seems to be binding on the driver's side. That little round piece between the two upper bolts I figured was either a blind bolt or a dowel. I wedged screwdrivers enough to know it's a dowel. I wondered if the pipe brace the metal frame attaches to was wedged in and retained by the dowel pin. I can't get it to lever out and don't want to risk damage.

The passenger side is able to move out some. It seems to bind progressively from the center stack area to the driver's side. I stopped pulling (out and up) when the passenger side metal frame started bending.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

OP
OP
Core-Lokt

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
nm, I found it. Two small bolts in the aluminum casting that the front steering columns fasten to. They're hidden between webs.

Damn..I got a LOT to put back, now. That's OK, since I learned something.

icywhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yep now if you ever have to do it again it will be easy

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Easiest dashes to pull :) got those babies down to about an hour and a half for removal and install. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk