Installing auto dimming mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm replacing the old rearview mirror on my 06 Ram SLT with an auto dimming mirror. I'm looking for a switched 12v power source in the overhead console to power it. Can someone tell me which color wire would work with the ignition switch?

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm replacing the old rearview mirror on my 06 Ram SLT with an auto dimming mirror. I'm looking for a switched 12v power source in the overhead console to power it. Can someone tell me which color wire would work with the ignition switch?

I seen A thread the other day on someone doing same thing and they said the wire harness connector for all that was in P side A Pillar down next to dash panel as far as the switched 12 volt I would have to Take a test light and find it

OP
OP
steve24

steve24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried to use the connector in the A-pillar but it didn't have any power (I'm thinking that the dealer might have to activate it?). I was just hoping that maybe somebody had used the overhead as a power source...and remembered what color wire that they used. :)

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I tried to use the connector in the A-pillar but it didn't have any power (I'm thinking that the dealer might have to activate it?). I was just hoping that maybe somebody had used the overhead as a power source...and remembered what color wire that they used. :)

Not sure on Wire Color For You sorry Theres one up there its just finding it

Last edited:

firsthagar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the fuse panel for that wiring that has no power, fuse may not be in it since that option did not come with the truck.

OP
OP
steve24

steve24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the fuse panel for that wiring that has no power, fuse may not be in it since that option did not come with the truck.

That's a good idea. I'm definitely gonna check that out when I get a chance!

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's a good idea. I'm definitely gonna check that out when I get a chance!
Don't hold your breath for finding a fuse slot I mean if a vehicle does not come with a available option there's usually no leg wire from fuse slot to that devices location sometimes no feed wire either

OP
OP
steve24

steve24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't hold your breath for finding a fuse slot I mean if a vehicle does not come with a available option there's usually no leg wire from fuse slot to that devices location sometimes no feed wire either

My truck didn't come with fog lights, but I bought a factory set and plugged them up to the factory connector and they worked. So, maybe there's a chance with the mirror working...plus I'm not 100% sure that my multimeter was working right when I checked for voltage in that connector on the A-pillar.

I'm not giving up...yet!

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My truck didn't come with fog lights, but I bought a factory set and plugged them up to the factory connector and they worked. So, maybe there's a chance with the mirror working...plus I'm not 100% sure that my multimeter was working right when I checked for voltage in that connector on the A-pillar.

I'm not giving up...yet!

Let us know what you find Im wondering about what you find mine already has the dimming mirror if you get it going you will like it its nice when someone comes up on your tail and running bright lights I wish there was a switch to do that with side mirrors

OP
OP
steve24

steve24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it possible that the auto dim mirror only works when the headlights are on? This just occurred to me that this may be the reason that I can't get power to the factory connector. I haven't checked it with the lights on.

OP
OP
steve24

steve24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it possible that the auto dim mirror only works when the headlights are on? This just occurred to me that this may be the reason that I can't get power to the factory connector. I haven't checked it with the lights on.

Ok, the headlights DO have to be on for the mirror to work! I feel like such a dumba$$!

Well anyway, I now have a working mirror and I appreciate the help! :)