Manual Driver Seat on Permanent Recline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I got a surprise today after lunch. I was kicked back in the truck with my seat reclined relaxing and then when I had to get back to work, I put the seat back up and went to push in the clutch and the seat flopped back into the reclined position. I played around with it for a little while and was able to get it to lock into place, unfortunately where it will lock is uncomfortably upright for me. When I try to recline the seat just a little, it will not catch and goes almost all the way back.

I haven't gotten a chance to actually tear into it to see what happened, but it feels like the geared mechanism that holds the seat into the different positions is stripped.

Has anyone has this happen to them? What is the fix? I wonder if the parts are even available separately. If they aren't this would probably be a great time to upgrade to leather front seats. Finding a manual pair may be impossible, but I wonder if the wiring is installed for power seats from the factory. All questions that I must answer eventually or have to drive in an uncomfortably upright position.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just went out with the flashlight and checked out the mechanism. What an over-engineered piece. It's no wonder it has problems. A level that's hooked to a mechanism that's hooked to a simple cable that goes to a spring loaded mechanism on the other side of the seat to a lever system which controls the recline.

It's no wonder it causes issues. Who would ever think to make a recline setup that idiotic in the first place? What's wrong with a simple lever and gear combination that has been used for decades? The good news is that I figured out why it was not working. A penny had fallen out of my pocket and gotten jammed into the mechanism towards the inside of the seat and it was preventing it from locking into place. 30 seconds with a pair of needle nose pliers and it was fixed.