Need Help with Fuel Gauge and Dash Lights!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caffeyjon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2005 ram 1500 2WD with the 5.7 Hemi. No electrical issues up to this point. Only modifications is a rough country suspension and 35in tires placed on when purchased. I work offshore, after being gone for 15 days and returning to my vehicle, I started the vehicle and began my trip home. About an hour into the trip, My fuel gauge suddenly jumps to less than half a tank, After I filled it up just an hour ago before I began my trip. Along with the fuel gauge coming on, my red brake light and my yellow ABS light came on. This is an ongoing issue unless my truck is completely full, then once about an hour into my drive time, the gauge and lights repeat the process of coming on and reading improperly. No performance issues to speak of, no hesitation or missing from the tranny or engine. Any Suggestions at all are welcomed!!!!! Not very inclined when it comes to possible electrical or sensor issues!!! BE GENTLE!!!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Parking for 15 days shouldn't be a problem, but I parked mine for 3 months with a half full tank and corrosion damaged the gas level contact board that's mounted on fuel pump cage inside the gas tank. Unfortunately the electrical plug for the gas gage is also the same plug that connects the gas pump. So if you pull the plug the engine won't run. Makes testing more difficult.

OP
OP
C

caffeyjon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like it sucked. I'm hoping mine is something other than a short or bad wiring somewhere. I just don't know where to start. I figured the most logical place would possibly be the fuses just to make sure they are good, then try to move on from there.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
That sounds like it sucked. I'm hoping mine is something other than a short or bad wiring somewhere. I just don't know where to start. I figured the most logical place would possibly be the fuses just to make sure they are good, then try to move on from there.

The items you mention are all electrical, so whatever the problem is it'll be electrical. I would download the service manual and start with finding what is the common element of the problems. You can count on the fact that you are going to be much more knowledgeable about the electrical systems very soon.