passenger airbag removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgm01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
R recently took my 08 1500 in for passenger side airbag recall I'm asking how do you get General access to the airbag as I'm not sure mine has been replaced. the dust was not knocked off for the dash or glove box when I picked up the truck later I discovered a screw is missing on the windshield cowling and that the passenger side wiper blade retaining clip is broken. do they need to access through the cowling? trying to determine if airbag has been replaced and if it's coincidence for the missing screw in the wiper damage or if it's something they may have done at the garage.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I can tell you what is involved in removing a passenger bag in an '05. The process should be pretty close, considering the panels were revised in '06.

Basically, it's right above the glove compartment and for the year concerned, remove the glove compartment door and maybe another fascia panel overlapping the vicinity of the glove compartment door and possibly a trim panel on the end of the dash. There isn't any reason I know of (nor access to the airbag) from the windshield cowling or under hood.

OP
OP
T

tgm01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you I figured it would be something like that.it just may be a coincidence then with the missing screw. I still have a hard time believing it was replaced there is no dust wiped from any of the dash where I thought they would have needed to access the airbag.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of these days I have to take my ram in for that passenger side airbag recall.

Funny thing is tho, a couple of years ago when I took it in to have the driver side airbag recall dealt with, they said they "checked" my passenger side one and said it was fine... They probably lied to me about it but it's actually kind of expected. The recall was about the driverside airbag, not the passenger side.

Then about 6 months ago I get the recall notice for the other one....lol.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Come to think of it tho, I sure hope they changed my driver side one like they said they did.

Oh well, hopefully I never have to find out...[emoji12]

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Come to think of it tho, I sure hope they changed my driver side one like they said they did.

Oh well, hopefully I never have to find out...[emoji12]
You can go to FCA website and find any ongoing recalls on your vehicle. I don't remember if you have to create an account or can just check by VIN.

Speaking of that, I went in for the recall. They checked and said "Yes, we have the bags". Fine; my truck was in there for ~ four hours. The truck was pulled around, I signed the paperwork and left. About two months later I get a notice of a passenger bag recall. If they were mistaken, I'd rather they told me at the time. I think they were lying (had issues with them, before) or there is some gaming of how warranty work is billed to FCA.

Now, that was the second time I went for the airbag recall. The first time, IIRC, there were some defective replacements. So, sometime I'll have to go a third round.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can go to FCA website and find any ongoing recalls on your vehicle. I don't remember if you have to create an account or can just check by VIN.
Oh I know I have one, I got the notice for the pass side airbag about months ago. I took it in about two years ago for the driver side.

Speaking of that, I went in for the recall. They checked and said "Yes, we have the bags". Fine; my truck was in there for ~ four hours. The truck was pulled around, I signed the paperwork and left. About two months later I get a notice of a passenger bag recall. If they were mistaken, I'd rather they told me at the time. I think they were lying (had issues with them, before) or there is some gaming of how warranty work is billed to FCA.

Now, that was the second time I went for the airbag recall. The first time, IIRC, there were some defective replacements. So, sometime I'll have to go a third round.

I wouldn't be surprised if they at the dealer would know specifically about recalls, tho.

I also wouldn't be surprised like in my situation when I took it in for the driver side airbag that they didn't even know about the upcoming pass side one. Maybe they did but I would imagine that they're only gonna deal with what the recall department lets and tells them what to deal with.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Oh I know I have one, I got the notice for the pass side airbag about months ago. I took it in about two years ago for the driver side.
Understood; you mentioned the mailer. I meant in that you can compare afterwards if all affected issues were fixed at the time.