Planning some Interior Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm thinking of some interior mods for the Ram now and have started the planning phase.

Nothing bought yet so just doing the planning and looking for feedback and some answers to a few questions.

First thing is I'm looking at an aux fuse box in which to run the future mods from. I've found some 6 and 8 fuse ones that look like they'll fit the bill.

Question: Anyone do this and where did you find a good spot? There seem to be some good room under the drivers dash and some good canidate spots.

Next on the list is to add some seat heaters. I'm a bit spoiled since the focus I have has them. Plus in Michigan you can use them 6 months of the year. :) On this I'm looking to mount the switches on either side of the rear window switch. This seems to be a good place and should be pretty straight forward. Didn't see any threads on this, but I did replace the ones in the Focus so I've somewhat been there done that.

Question: Anyone remove the covers on their seats? How hard? Any pics or links to a thread?

The next thing is I want to add a couple of 12 volt plugs for the back seat. I'm looking at the spot at the bottom of the middle seat. Looks like there's some structure of the seat I can use to get a good mount. Plus when the seat is out for the seat heater should be able to get to everything.

Then while I have the seat out I'm thinking of adding a 12 volt invertor under the seat and putting a plug inthe dash where the small coin holder is on the passenger side. I've found some with the capability for remote on/off so add the switch there also.

Question: Anyone have any pics of the back of the bezel? I'm wondering how the coin holder is attached. I'm assuming is hot welded so making a replacement piece for the plug and switch will be a challenge.

Here's my thoughts:

IMG_20111022_183712-1.jpg

So those are the beginning thoughts for the modes for now. Would like to do a Navi bezel and get an in dash aftermarket navi unit but going to need to fill a couple piggy banks for that one.

Last edited:

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those sound like some good mods to do. When are you going to get started?

OP
OP
mikehutch

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure when I'll get going on this as deer season is coming up but hopefully prior to the trip to Mo. for Christmas in December.

I have started collecting the pieces to the puzzle. I'll work on details/links in a future build post. But I have so far:

Two sets of universal seat heaters kits
1200 watt whistler DC inverter
8 slot fuse panel
110 volt snap in receptacle
sheet of black ABS textured plastic
In the mail is the remote switch for the invertor
Dual 12 volt outlet plug with bracket

Still needed is a small rocker switch that I'll replace the bulky invertor remote switch with and put next to the outlet.

Oh, and I slipped a smoked LED 3rd Brake light in on the order. ;)

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like some good clean ideas. I've always toyed with putting a 110 outlet in my trucks. Closest I ever got was a mounted / hard wired inverter under the pass seat. It actually worked really well. Doubt I'll ever do much more than that on this new truck.

I've actually been thinking about seat heaters for mine too. It's something I'm going to really miss from my old truck (The high tomorrow is 40) ugh! Let me know where you end up sourcing them from / how you like them.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
should be awesome!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Sounds like some good clean ideas. I've always toyed with putting a 110 outlet in my trucks. Closest I ever got was a mounted / hard wired inverter under the pass seat. It actually worked really well. Doubt I'll ever do much more than that on this new truck.

I've actually been thinking about seat heaters for mine too. It's something I'm going to really miss from my old truck (The high tomorrow is 40) ugh! Let me know where you end up sourcing them from / how you like them.

so the express doesn't have an outlet on the dash?

OP
OP
mikehutch

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I started some of the easy parts. I have the fuse box mounted under the dash now. I am definantely getting old. Laying in the floor trying to work under the dash is quite a chore now. I think in my younger years my elbows must have been able to bend backwards as I don't remember it being such a pain. :)

101_2155.jpg

101_2159.jpg
This item I bought off of Amazon along with several of the other items.
Amazon.com: 8 Position ATO/ATC Fuse Panel With Cover: Automotive

Also an easy mod was to mount the switches for the seat heaters. I wanted to pull the bezel out to see what it looked like on the back side. I was pretty happy to see that the little coin holder things were screwed to the bezel and not heat staked. So I took the passenger side off to work on mounting the 110V receptical.

IMG_20111106_132209.jpg

The seat heater kit was from ebay under seller: affluentsupplies
Carbon Fiber Universal Heated Seat Heater Kit - 2 Seats
It looks like a pretty good kit for the money.

I'm getting ready to go off hunting so this may go on hold until around Thanksgiving. I'm guessing I'm going to need a good full day or so to pull the seat and get the heaters in them. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
mikehutch

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sweet, where in Missouri are ya heading for the holiday?

I'll be driving past you this weekend also. I deer hunt outside of Garden City and my family all lives in Nevada. So for the holiday's we are in Nevada.

From 2002-2005 I lived in Oak Grove when my company put a facility in Concordia, but we didn't win the followup program so I came back up here to Detroit. My oldest played on a Blue Spring travel soccer team during that time.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
lol i am on the heated seat bandwagon too, i hate my leather seats brrr!!!!

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
How much is it to add in heated seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a set on my watch list through ebay that is the carbon fiber kit for $60/seat which I think is pretty darn good. this will absolutely be on my mod list as soon as I change the seat covers in my truck.

OP
OP
mikehutch

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, time to bump this as I got some work done on Thanksgiving. Seat heaters are installed, rear 12 volt plugs and a 110 VAC inverter. All that's left is to wire up the 110V plug in the dash. Still need to fab this up so hopefully soon.

Seat Heaters.

This was actually pretty easy....no hog rigs. Most difficult part was the seat back. It has like two plastic channels with barbs. These snap together and the barbs hold it together. I never did figure out the secret for getting these apart. Maybe there's a special tool. Jump in if you know the secret. I ended up with a screwdriver from the end and then prying them apart. Not pretty but got them apart.

Seat out
101_2163.jpg
Heaters Ready
101_2162.jpg

101_2164.jpg

101_2167.jpg

Toasty Buns now available. :)

Rear Seat 12 Volt plug
101_2169.jpg

Picked this up at O'Reillys

101_2173.jpg

12 VDC to 110 VAC inverter
101_2175.jpg

So the one thing i need to do now is get some relays as my fuse box is always on. So I need the relays to make the seat heaters keyed on so I don't forget them. Toasty buns with a dead battery won't be much fun. :)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I like the inverter that is handy

OP
OP
mikehutch

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This truck is now the family travel vehicle so with three kids and lots of electronics the next worst thing to hear besides, "Are we there yet?" Is "My battery is dead now what do I do?"

So hopefully with 12 VDC and 110 VAC I can keep all the electroics chugging along.

The inverter is a Whistler Pro which I picked as it was one that you could add a remote on/off. So the future plans are to have the on/off in the dash next to a plug. I bought this off of Amazon.

Amazon.com: Whistler Pro-1200W 1,200 Watt Power Inverter: Patio, Lawn & Garden