possible electrical issue....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
odd for me as im very elecrically inclined....lol....

so i jump in the truck this morn and my dome/puddle lights arent on, i flick the switch to make sure my switch wasnt all the way off, and nothing....
so after work today i checked the fuses, all of them and 18 would be labelled interior illumination, all good... my map lights work, hmmmm, so i trace the wires from dome to my t-tap where i tapped in so when i open my doors the puddle lights come on, which is behind the a-pillar, everything is secure, but no power to the t....i know my test light is grounded good as i checked another power source with it grounded in the same place, grounds on puddle lights are tight and look good, dome light bulb tested in working order, i wish i had brought my multimeter home with me from work.....does anyone have any idea? im at a stand still which is really weird for me.....where is the door plunger that tells the interior lights to come on... or the sensor that does when i hit my fob....

OP
OP
B

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
To the fuse yes one side is hot, changed fuse same deal

Sent from my badass EVO on TapaTalk....

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
sounds like a short between the ttap and fuse. if you can find both ends ohm it out to see if there is continuity. if not then trace it out and look for a break or something.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The dome lamp is controlled by the instrument cluster which provides power at all times, regardless of the ignition switch position The ground circuit for the lamp is switched through the integral dome lamp switch or through the door ajar switches via the instrument cluster

The dome lamp lens and bulb are available for service replacement If either of the lamp switch or bulb holders is faulty or damaged, the dome lamp assembly must be replaced

For service of the dome lamp bulb, refer to the appropriate wiring information.

The dome lamp is activated by the door ajar switches via the instrument cluster. When all of the doors are closed, the lamp can be activated by depressing the lens. When any door is open, depressing the lamp lense to activate the lamp switch will not turn the lamps off

The instrument cluster monitors the door ajar switches When a door is open the instrument cluster grounds the low side drivers to turn on the lamp Upon closing all doors, the instrument cluster initiates a 30 second timer If any of the doors are opened during the "time out" cycle, the instrument cluster will reset the timer until all doors are closed The instrument cluster will failed to off when the doors are closed and the ignition is turned ON, the time out expires or the power locks are activated.

Here is the location of the door switches:

2008-04-01_141022_door_switch.gif