Rear Door Lock not operating on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodRam2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone out there have had a failure with the rear door locks on their 2003 Ram Quad Cab? My driver's side rear door will not lock or unlock with either the key fob or even from the main switch panel on the driver's door. I can manually lock and unlock the door... I searched on the web for a power motor for the door, no luck?? Any ideas other than manually lock and unlock the door? Appreciate any advise.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Sounds like the actuator went bad. I believe it's a fairly easy fix. Look up door lock actuator.

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Both rears went on mine, haven't gotten around to replacing the actuators yet.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Driver's side rear on mine. I bought a new actuator this winter but its still sitting in the box on my workbench...

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Seems to be a common failure? I replaced 3 rear actuators on quad and mega cabs on trucks in a year.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone out there have had a failure with the rear door locks on their 2003 Ram Quad Cab? My driver's side rear door will not lock or unlock with either the key fob or even from the main switch panel on the driver's door. I can manually lock and unlock the door... I searched on the web for a power motor for the door, no luck?? Any ideas other than manually lock and unlock the door? Appreciate any advise.

The actuator is built into the latch. It will need a new door latch if that is the problem. Have you pulled the door panel to check and see if you are getting power to the latch before you buy a new one? Pull the boot back that is between the door and body. Check for broken wires. I have seen a lot with broken wires in the door harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
The actuator is built into the latch. It will need a new door latch if that is the problem. Have you pulled the door panel to check and see if you are getting power to the latch before you buy a new one? Pull the boot back that is between the door and body. Check for broken wires. I have seen a lot with broken wires in the door harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^this. Common issue.

Navarabr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This happened to me once, on passanger side but mine was just jammed.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It would check the harness that goes through the pillar to the door. With time the wires tends to get brittle and break. If this the issue, I suggest you add a 12" lenght to all the wires and crimp them rather than soldering. The wire will better witstands the constant bending from the door opening. Also the crimp will provide for a better mechanical bound that will last longer than solder. The rubber harness cover can be moved back and try not to cut it as they are hard to find and do offer a good protection to harness.

That being said, if the harness is in good condition and does bring power to the actuator, then you can look a changing the actuator.

Hope this helps

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
It would check the harness that goes through the pillar to the door. With time the wires tends to get brittle and break. If this the issue, I suggest you add a 12" length to all the wires and crimp them rather than soldering. The wire will better with stand the constant bending from the door opening. Also the crimp will provide for a better mechanical bound that will last longer than solder. The rubber harness cover can be moved back and try not to cut it as they are hard to find and do offer a good protection to harness.

I would say the same thing. I had the one door quite locking and the speaker was not working. Pulled back the rubber sleeve and there was the problem - 4 fatigued broken off wires. Fixed them and have not had a problem since.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Ive just gone through this same issue as well... with all the electrical ghosts in these trucks, it becomes quite frustrating to say the least. I pulled the left rear door skin and got the wire harness out to check for breaks (after doing a continuity test ) and discovered all the smaller gauge wires were either broken or close to broken..
So... to the bench with snips, strippers, heat shrink, and a soldering iron..

All works like new again
Im trying to upload photos... too stupid to figure it out.. sorry..

http://www.ramforum.com/picture.php?albumid=3809&picture

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had broken wire on driver side rear door and a bad actuator on passenger side. Just do some testing to find your problem.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

QuintanaP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.0
My driver rear door wasn't working for a bit. I was loosing my mind. I couldn't lock it neither by my door panel switch nor with the alarm. So I checked the harness, and viola!

Ram 9.jpg

QuintanaP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.0
Fixed all my problems, my window works now and all! It wasn't before.. Anyways, good luck!