replacing the back lighting in your speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

receptivejake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8 magnum
I was wondering how difficult and whether it was worth my time to replace the stock green back lighting behind my speedometer with blue leds. I have already installed blue leds within the cab that lights up your feet, so it would go well the rest.

triple111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any chance you could post pictures of your foot lighting and your setup? I've been wanting to do the same exact thing and I wonder if you have any good tips.

As for your question, I'm sorry I can't be too helpful because I don't know how they're mounted. If they are surface mount LEDs (many backlit panels come as circuit boards) they might be tricky if you don't have a lot of experience soldering SM parts. If they're just through hole, it would be just a matter of selecting the right size LEDs and plugging and playing. I will say though that blue LEDs aren't great for vision, it has to do with the wavelength of the light and your rods/cones in your eyes. You lose contrast, which may or may not be annoying for you. I would do a test to see if you like the effect first before doing a total replacement.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Yep, what Justin posted. My whole interior is blue.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any one have a link for the 02-05 model years? I've googled before but everything I have found has been nothing like that write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SgtNuzza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the lights in my temperature controls and my dash cluster
It's not hard at all.
I've got an 08 and the 04-05 are almost the same.
My question is where did you get your lights.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Difficulty is dependent on the colour you want, anything in the blue/white range is easy but red gets harder and orange was almost impossible since the clusters all have a bluish film on the inside of each illuminated device. How do I know? It took me 3 months to figure out and get this to happen:

IMG_2817.jpg