Steering Wheel tilt mechanism repair HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avp12304

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2006
Engine
4.7, 5.9 Cummins
Iv got an 05 ram 1500 slt.. I slept in my truck and somehow I broke the mechanism that lets me raise and lower my steering wheel, I didnt break the handle off or anything, its something internal, when I pull the lever to adjust the steering wheel tilt nothing happens, it feels like that arm isint catching on whatever its suppose to catch on. I'v searched on the internet and I couldn't really figure out a way to word it so that a relevant search came up..but my question is, any idea what I broke in there? hopefully this is something I can fix myself. The wheel is stuck in the full upward position, i can still drive and everything its just really akward with the wheel in that position

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I took a look at the parts manual and don't see any specific tilt-related parts called out other than the lever cover.

I would try to push the wheel up slightly and see if the mechanism is freed where you can mover the lever. Next, I would remove the column shroud and see if there's anything obvious.

Forum member jotin works at a dealer and could maybe help. You might try and PM him.

Gimullins2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having the same issue, what did you do to fix it??

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
mines missing the cable thing I guess it broke and po removed it. can I get this part?

Rod Watts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
I am having the same problem. The lever will press down but does not release the steering wheel to tilt up or down. Anyone have any ideas?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I am having the same problem. The lever will press down but does not release the steering wheel to tilt up or down. Anyone have any ideas?

Hello Rod Watts,
I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you are unable to determine the cause of this with the assistance of fellow forum members, I suggest connecting with your local certified dealer as they are in the best position to assist. If you decide to go this route, please know that we are available via private message if you are in need of any assistance with that process.
Laura
RamCares

Rod Watts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
So this is what I found and it worked for me..... have to look and take your time if you don't have small hands!!! lol