upper dash removal for 3.5" speaker swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a guy coming to buy my stock infinity speakers for $50, but I cant get the 3.5 dash speakers. How do you remove the upper portion? 06 ram 1500 qc

CaliDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right in front of the defroster holes there should be a lip running all the way along the dash...slide a flat tip under there and it should just pop right up by you prying slowly its clipped like everything else on the truck.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you can leave the rest of the dash in place and just pop that front section out?

shikityshack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
internal combustion
Just so happens I just pulled mine out so I can paint it black.

Like calidodge said you need a flat blade.

Push down on the dash right in front of the seam so you can slide the screwdriver under the front section w/o forcing it. Once your under there just pull up untill you pop one of the clips.
dodge ram dash 001.jpg

After the first one you can work the rest with your fingers. Just be careful because the edge is kinda sharp. I think you could cut yourself fairly easy on it.
dodge ram dash 002.jpg

The clips up against the wind sheild are in at an angle toward the windshield, so pull back toward you for those. The clip on my pass front corner was stubborn but a hefty tug pulled it out with no damage.
dodge ram dash 003.jpg
dodge ram dash 004.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
That is petty much how I remember it on my 05 also

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All this time and that's all it takes to put some tweeters up there?!

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
great info!!! i was also thinking about putting sumthig up there on mine when i get around to updating

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
These speakers just drop in??

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just so happens I just pulled mine out so I can paint it black.

Like calidodge said you need a flat blade.

Push down on the dash right in front of the seam so you can slide the screwdriver under the front section w/o forcing it. Once your under there just pull up untill you pop one of the clips.
View attachment 1982

After the first one you can work the rest with your fingers. Just be careful because the edge is kinda sharp. I think you could cut yourself fairly easy on it.
View attachment 1983

The clips up against the wind sheild are in at an angle toward the windshield, so pull back toward you for those. The clip on my pass front corner was stubborn but a hefty tug pulled it out with no damage.
View attachment 1984
View attachment 1985

Great info! Welcome to this sight too! I didn't know you had joined up over here.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So no one replaced these yet? Guess I'll find out when I do mine.

I've replaced mine. :drool:

IMG_0997.jpg

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I've replaced mine. :drool:

IMG_0997.jpg

Thanks sully,looks like 3.5's. drop in w/2 screws.
You got a boatload of mods' in that truck, what year is it? Is evrything you did listd on your signature? Let's just say I never took the time to read into it, mice job.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
So no one replaced these yet? Guess I'll find out when I do mine.

I never had dash speakers to replace.....crappy 4 speaker system.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Yeah, but with a nice after market system no one would care. I'm thinking. The infinity system is amplified, prolly just enough for me.But my speakers are dried out, sounds like a cement mixer at times,lol. Time for some walmart specials. But first Before I buy, I'm gonna match them w/the oem's as far as watts and ohm's. The closer you get with a good match up , the better the sound. Regardless of the head unit sporting.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
the ohms is the important part. I think the infinity systems in these trucks are at 2 ohms, and most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Figures, there is three of them and they sell them by the pair.
Kenwood KFC-X1710 2-Way Speaker System, 220W Max power, 2-Ohms Drive
Ya got a lead on the door speakers? Your right about the ohm's , but I was also told if ya have 2oow speakers, 50w per channel, or side bank, And your running higher output speakers, it will not drive them properly , ending up sounding a little off. I suppose having 100 w speakers in a 50w per channel system would be the max for my liking, I dunno It's been a while since I actuall did a matchup w/an aftermarket system, let alone a stock one. But we are in agreement. no doubt.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks sully,looks like 3.5's. drop in w/2 screws.
You got a boatload of mods' in that truck, what year is it? Is evrything you did listd on your signature? Let's just say I never took the time to read into it, mice job.

The 3.5 speakers luckily just drop right in.

Additionally I installed 2.8KHz Bass Blockers on the 3.5" speakers to protect unwanted frequencies since im running those two speakers off of the stock infinity amp.

Its an 06. 3.5 Gen. Only some of my mods are in my sig. My buddy swapped out his rams speakers with some cheap ones from oreillys since he works there. They sound 100x better then the stock ones.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Figures, there is three of them and they sell them by the pair.
Kenwood KFC-X1710 2-Way Speaker System, 220W Max power, 2-Ohms Drive
Ya got a lead on the door speakers? Your right about the ohm's , but I was also told if ya have 2oow speakers, 50w per channel, or side bank, And your running higher output speakers, it will not drive them properly , ending up sounding a little off. I suppose having 100 w speakers in a 50w per channel system would be the max for my liking, I dunno It's been a while since I actuall did a matchup w/an aftermarket system, let alone a stock one. But we are in agreement. no doubt.

what you want to look for is the RMS for the Speakers instead of the max wattage. So if your amp is putting out 50 watts rms you want a speaker that matches or comes close to that. I say this because you are using a factory amp that you can not adjust the gain on those channels. That is a good rule of thumb in my opinion, but with aftermarket amps you have a little more leeway with the gain on the amp.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
cool. / ******* 2 sully and quiet. Sooooo no more than 50 watts? I noticed the crutchfield web page has 'em from anywhere from 2- 30,40, and 50 watts per speaker. Whithout sounding like a '****. Whats the best watts for a stock set up, You would think the 40 watt speakers. But I would get the most popular set up sold. Leaning towards another thread,

Last edited: