Very little AC or Heat blowing from vents ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OverKill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hello people..
Last friday,I went and bought a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi.
I checked it over and all is well,except I noticed when I have on the Heat or AC,and with the fan on highest setting,I'm getting little air forced from the vents. Seems like all the air is staying inside the dash ,and I can hear it blowing hard.
Do you think its duct work came disconnected ? or something else ...

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Most likely your fresh air door is broken, this is a common problem. You can find several U-Tube videos covering this problem along with the fix.

caps

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Thunder Road
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Link to a video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great info on website heatertreater.

FYI

Your recirc/ fresh air door has broken off and is laying down over fan intake...

Open glove box and remove it by pressing down on catches L and R. It will then swing down fully to be removed

You can see the the plastic mesh covering intake for when havc is in recirculate.

Break out fins of mesh. Reach in and remove door to allow air to get to fan. It is tough but door can be removed through the opening after mesh is gone.

Free easy fix. I then put metal duct tape over area where mesh was. You now only have fresh air to fan (no recirc) but air can't blow in onto leg from fresh air intake.

RedRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same problem here. Lots of fan noise and low volume of air. This weekend I removed the three screws holding in the fan and sure enough the door was laying right over it. You also do not have to break the door to get it out. Tilt it upright and the door falls right out the bottom. So much air blowing now it pins you to the back glass! Took 5 minutes.

Hemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Without a door you may feel fresh air (hotter than desired in summer and colder than desired in winter) rushing in from under dash.

If it bothers you, you may have to seal the intake for recirc inside area by glove box.

Air from fresh intake is by passing system and blowing out at glove box.

Navarabr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took my dodge ram 1500 2005 apart this morning and came across the recirculating door is broken, very common on rams.

Long Islander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summins 6.7
Happened on my 2005 I owned.

I kept the heat on LOW or one more notch up from low and it gave me heat on the drivers side.

Passenger side was always hot.

Just sayin if you are limited on time, put it on low to at least keep you warm.

2010 6.7 4.10s
Sent on Tapatalk with a S5

Hooker52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8 Magnum
This is definitely from the recirculating door. I had the same problem in my 02'. Very common problem.

The door has broken off and is laying over the fan. I just took the fan out of the bottom (3 screws) and reached up inside and used epoxy gum to stick the door back in place. You won't be able to get fresh air anymore doing it this way....but that honestly doesn't matter and is a whole hell of a lot easier than pulling apart your dash and replacing the door.

Took me about 15mins.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I actually did the opposite of most folks and sealed the inside forcing the system to always feed fresh air in the cabin.

2 reasons for this :
1. When feeding only air from the cabin, windows fog up way more, and sometimes force to enable the defrost mode
2. I'd rather fresh air going through the HVAC system than have to deal with an open window and the Highway speed noise.

But then again its your choice to seal it either way you want.