what type of bulb or led behind rpm and speedometer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MossyOakRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Im wondering if anyone knows what type of bulb that is used behind the gauges on a 2006 dodge ram 1500. I want to replace the bulb with blue led lights but im unsure of the type of bulb or led i need and how many?

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Im wondering if anyone knows what type of bulb that is used behind the gauges on a 2006 dodge ram 1500. I want to replace the bulb with blue led lights but im unsure of the type of bulb or led i need and how many?

You have only 5 bulbs that are replaceable to back light the instrument panel. All indicators and other instrument lights are LED's that are soldered into the circuit board. I have two that have failed and the service manual states the fix is to replace the instrument cluster.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I checked with a couple of places that repair the gauge cluster broken gauges, but they do nothing to the circuit board. You might try finding someone good with soldering delicate electronics, and get some LED's that match the type used originally, just in your choice of color.

OP
OP
MossyOakRam

MossyOakRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was looking at videos and it seems like a plug and play type deal just unscrew the stock lights and screw in the after market

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was looking at videos and it seems like a plug and play type deal just unscrew the stock lights and screw in the after market

That applies to the cluster back lighting that are bayonet lamp type. Quarter turn detach/attach type, where the indicator/warning types are LED's soldered into the clusters circuit board. My highbeam indicator which is a blue LED is out, this is one of two or three LED's that no longer work. Even the gear selector is LED's.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My objective was to change the greenish lights behind the gauges to a blue light

That would change your back light from green to blue, I am just not sure it would eliminate all of the green lighting.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
True eh , do you know a type of led or somthing that would work?

Sorry, I haven't researched the lights anymore since I don't really need the ones that are out. I will probably replace my instrument cluster with a new replacement unit. Green is my favorite color so my dash is good to go for now.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seen some where that someone replaced his instrument cluster with blue LED's and then put a blue flim over the spot that shows what gear your in to turn that blue as well. If I find it I will PM you.

Edit: Saw it on a YouTube video. It was for a 08 ram though. If you type into YouTube 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Gauge LED Light Color Change by PSPHaCkErAOD you'll see two parts.

Last edited:

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There are 3 types of replaceable bulbs on '02-'05 Instrument clusters :

PC74, PC194, and 158.

Many autoparts sell these with or without the socket, and some online shops will have replacement LED of the appropriate type in the color of your choice.

I have found some on Super Bright LEDs .com

Don't do a search by vehicle make/model as since the dealers don't list our bulbs as replaceable you won't find anything. Do the search on bulb type.

The instrument cluster circuit is printed on plastic. After a certain time, some of the circuit traces can actually wear off from the plastic leaving an open circuit pathway making it seem like the LED is burned.

I have repaired some of these broken pathways with patience and rear window defrost liquid. There is also Circuit writer pens but they are a bit more expensive than the Defrost repair liquid.

Here is how you proceed to repair those :
In some cases, the 2 broken ends can be reconnected with jump wires using the holding screws of the flexboard. This is a more permanent and sturdy fix to apply whenever possible.

For the other type of fix requiring the Defrost Liquid:
There is a protective varnish on the circuit, carefully scrape off 1/8"~3/16" with a sharp tool like an X-acto on both the end you need to reconnect.
Put some masking tape to delimit each side of the circuit pathway you need to repair (makes it easier to not create a short with other circuit path and does a cleaner job).

Take your time, and apply a coat of conductive paint (defrost repair liquid or circuit writer) in between the tapes, remove the masking tapes and let dry.

Using a Multi-meter, check conductivity of the repaired circuit pathway.

If all check OK, put some electrical tape or even transparent packing tape over the repair (to act as the isolating varnish on the rest of the FlexBoard). It will protect your circuit from humidity and also from scratching it while you re-install the cluster.

Connect the cluster and test before you reassemble everything. Trust me it saves a lot of pain and grief if you have to do some further touch ups.

If you did good, you should have nice fully working instrument cluster in your truck again.

Now you can change the replaceable bulbs to blue LEDs and impress your friends.
You can also change similar bulbs in the Heater A/C Control so they appear blue as well.

Unless you apply a coloured film, you would not be able to change the colour of the odometer numbers or the shifter position as they are integrated LED circuits in the cluster. I have folks try those coloured films but did not like the results, but that is my personal opinion.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There are 3 types of replaceable bulbs on '02-'05 Instrument clusters :

PC74, PC194, and 158.

Many autoparts sell these with or without the socket, and some online shops will have replacement LED of the appropriate type in the color of your choice.

I have found some on Super Bright LEDs .com

Don't do a search by vehicle make/model as since the dealers don't list our bulbs as replaceable you won't find anything. Do the search on bulb type.

The instrument cluster circuit is printed on plastic. After a certain time, some of the circuit traces can actually wear off from the plastic leaving an open circuit pathway making it seem like the LED is burned.

I have repaired some of these broken pathways with patience and rear window defrost liquid. There is also Circuit writer pens but they are a bit more expensive than the Defrost repair liquid.

Here is how you proceed to repair those :
In some cases, the 2 broken ends can be reconnected with jump wires using the holding screws of the flexboard. This is a more permanent and sturdy fix to apply whenever possible.

For the other type of fix requiring the Defrost Liquid:
There is a protective varnish on the circuit, carefully scrape off 1/8"~3/16" with a sharp tool like an X-acto on both the end you need to reconnect.
Put some masking tape to delimit each side of the circuit pathway you need to repair (makes it easier to not create a short with other circuit path and does a cleaner job).

Take your time, and apply a coat of conductive paint (defrost repair liquid or circuit writer) in between the tapes, remove the masking tapes and let dry.

Using a Multi-meter, check conductivity of the repaired circuit pathway.

If all check OK, put some electrical tape or even transparent packing tape over the repair (to act as the isolating varnish on the rest of the FlexBoard). It will protect your circuit from humidity and also from scratching it while you re-install the cluster.

Connect the cluster and test before you reassemble everything. Trust me it saves a lot of pain and grief if you have to do some further touch ups.

If you did good, you should have nice fully working instrument cluster in your truck again.

Now you can change the replaceable bulbs to blue LEDs and impress your friends.
You can also change similar bulbs in the Heater A/C Control so they appear blue as well.

Unless you apply a coloured film, you would not be able to change the colour of the odometer numbers or the shifter position as they are integrated LED circuits in the cluster. I have folks try those coloured films but did not like the results, but that is my personal opinion.

Hope this helps

Thanks for sharing this fix for LED's attached to the cluster integrated circuit board. I may try to repair mine instead of replacing the entire cluster. :waytogo::waytogo::waytogo:

BgHrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To bring this thread back up...How do you access the replaceable bulbs behind the cluster? If I need to remove the cluster, how do I do that?