$2000 budget build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramthedaughter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i got an 04 QC 4x4 with a superchips flashpaq and custom exhaust, i want to put a cam in it but not sure what to get without having to upgrade valve springs, rocker arms ect... was also thinking about cai and maybe a throttle body spacer, just wanting some input on the best combination of upgrades i should do with only 2,000 bucks to work with....

ramin44s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Not sure on what cam to put in ur hemi but I wouldn't waste the Money on a throttle body spacer there about useless, I would get a good cold air intake like varram or volant, headers and if you have enough left over look into a cam

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2000 bucks? a cam will likely cost a good bit unless you can have someone install it for cheap...my cam install in the end was about a grand, with install being 550, parts 300-350, and misc stuff.

your best bet, if you have it lifted any is invest in 4.56 gears and a locker for the rear. just the gears up front. that would be your single most bang for your buck.

if you dont want that, then do longtube headers,intake,(NO TB SPACER), ,maybe a better valve body? shift kit perhaps?

then save for a cam.

you can run a few cams on just a superchips 93 tune, comp 260, sidewinder and i believe one other cam i cant remember... any other cams will at the least need custom tuning/ supporting mods(gears,converter)

OP
OP
R

ramthedaughter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i guess i should have specified, but all the labor is free, i know a mechanic that is going to help me put everything in. its only got a leveling kit and 33 12.50 tires on it, but how much would new gears cost? cold air, some pacesetter headers and a comp 260 would cost about 1200?

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if labor isnt a problem then comp 260,longtube headers,intake,6.1 springs/rods, then see what you got left *** go for 4.56 gears. be a pretty stout truck then.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
~340 give or take. i never got my truck on the dyno. but that would be a good guess, stock the hemi is 345hp, then account for the loss through the drivetrain.

OP
OP
R

ramthedaughter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what does your truck do in the 1/4 mile? looks like your truck has pretty similair upgrades...

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I wouldnt touch a cam until after you get the basics in there first.

I would go with 4.56 gears, headers and an intake before a cam. All of those will really wake that HEAVY truck of yours up. Gears figure $1000+, Headers $300-$700, CAI $50-$300, and there is your $2g's right there. Also that combo will help with your mpg's as well. IMO a cam in your truck, as it is now, would be a waste of money.

If you do decide to get a cam in it though, you need one that will run with the superchips tuner (so nothing "big") and you need one that puts out gobs of lowend tq since you have such a heavy truck. Also, bare minimum with any cam you look at, upgrade the springs and rods to the 6.1's (unless its a custom ground cam or regrind, then you may need a custom sized rods), most of the cams out there require at least that as they are based on the 6.1 cores.

For the record after everything was said and done, my cam ran a little over a grand to get all the parts and get it in and running.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Big thing you need to ask is what are you wanting out of the truck? Are you taking it to the track everyweekend? Off road it? Looking for more towing power? Looking for more fun?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Hey welcome to RF. Check out our sponsor 3rd Strike performance for a price on gears.

OP
OP
R

ramthedaughter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well i do a lot of off roading, it sees lots for gravel roads... but mainly i just want to have fun with it, maybe the occational drag race on the old highway at night...

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
x2....
I wouldnt touch a cam until after you get the basics in there first.

I would go with 4.56 gears, headers and an intake before a cam. All of those will really wake that HEAVY truck of yours up. Gears figure $1000+, Headers $300-$700, CAI $50-$300, and there is your $2g's right there. Also that combo will help with your mpg's as well. IMO a cam in your truck, as it is now, would be a waste of money.

If you do decide to get a cam in it though, you need one that will run with the superchips tuner (so nothing "big") and you need one that puts out gobs of lowend tq since you have such a heavy truck. Also, bare minimum with any cam you look at, upgrade the springs and rods to the 6.1's (unless its a custom ground cam or regrind, then you may need a custom sized rods), most of the cams out there require at least that as they are based on the 6.1 cores.

For the record after everything was said and done, my cam ran a little over a grand to get all the parts and get it in and running.