02 4.7 motor swap issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STOUTE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009/2003
Engine
5.7/4.7
Motor swap issues
Pulled my 02 4.7 23k miles and trans out my single cab and installed it in a 02 crew that had a 4.7 148k miles( bad head gasket ) as well . It's wanting to start but keeps back firing like it jumped time. The motor ran fine that I put in

It acts like it wants to start but keeps popping and stumbling and will not run

codes are p0340 p0505 p0123 p1391

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Did you swap pcm, tipcm? With motor if not then that's your issue, have it reprogrammed.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Did you swap pcm, tipcm? With motor if not then that's your issue, have it reprogrammed.

honestly it sounds as if one of the vehicles is not an 02, 2 of the CEL codes thrown are commonly thrown when you do a motor swap from an incompatible year, the other 2 codes sound like a TB problem, its possible those sensors were damaged in the swap..

02-03 rams cannot use a motor from 04+ and vise versa, in late 03 they changed the motor slightly and the changes were to the crank and cam sensors (two of your problems) and then they also changed the TB (the other two of your problems)

Im currently in that same situation with my 03 reg cab, i did a complete motor swap and had all the same issues you are having now, which is why i now have another motor im about to swap in it.

put the orig TB on motor from the truck you put it in, that will fix two of the codes, to fix the other two code (crank and cam) will be a complete motor tear down to change the reluctor wheel and toner ring.

now if im wrong and you did for sure swap an 02 motor to an 02 truck, then the motor should be 100% compatible, you will just have a big wiring issue